• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

KOWA TS11,12,13 whats the difference (1 Viewer)

NIKONwxm

Hiya all.
Been tracking a few of these scopes on ebay over the last few weeks.
Just wondering whats the difference between the 3 .
maybe you can save me an in depth search.

regards Barry

Surely you mean 611, 612, 613 or 614?

Kowa's numbering indicates that the first two above, ending in 1 and 2, are non-flourite lenses, and the scopes ending in 3 and 4 are flourite or ED glass.

If the number ends in an even number it is straight through, ending in an odd number indicates that the scope has an angled eyepiece.

I think this is true of all Kowa's scope series including 500, 600, 660, 770, 800, 880 etc. There are 4 models in almost all of these (except the 500), comprising 2 straight and 2 angled (one of each is flourite or ED, and the others are 'normal' optical glass).

The first 2 digits indicate the objective size in mm of all the scopes in each series (the exception being the 800 series which have 82mm lenses). This at least applies to the current range I think. The older 611, 612 etc range has been replaced a few years ago by the 601, 602 etc. which all have 60mm objective lenses. Therefore a '1' in the middle indicates an older model. Very complicated I know! but there is some method to their madness, in a range of scopes much larger than that offered by most makers.

Expect to pay considerably more for any scope ending in 3 or 4.
Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back