• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa 883 + va3 + panasonic tm700 (1 Viewer)

Marsh Warbler

Hi All! I'm a lucky owner of kowa 883 with 2 eyepieces (20-60x and va3). I like (I want) take videos (I'm especially interested in bird's behaviour) so I bought panasonic tm700 but (with the va3) vignetting is zero only when the videocamera zoom is set at 2x. So I don't know if is better change the videocamera with a point&shot photocamera (with a good video function) or replace va3 (60mm eye relief) with va2b (100mm eye relief). Suggestions are welcome! ;-)

Hi Marsh Warbler, since you have had no answer to your specific questions I will point out my experience with a somewhat similar set-up. I also have a Kowa TSN-883 scope and have used it with the old long eye relief eyepiece Kowa TSN-VA1 and a Panasonic camcorder and a Panasonic point and shoot camera. I think the point and shoot does a better job (notice that the point and shoot that I used has HD video only 720 not the 1080 of the camcorder). Check out the following discussions here in Birdforum:

Panasonic HDC-TM300 + Kowa TSN-883 + Kowa TSN-VA1 -->
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=152458

Lumix DMC-FH1 digicam + Kowa TSN-883 + Kowa TSN-VA1 -->
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=218038

Dalcio

Not sure if it's what you're after but I use a Flip camera with my scope and can go from having the camera in my pocket to being on the scope and recording in about ten seconds, depending if I can remember which pocket I've put the camera in. If you go on YouTube have a search for Boy Wonder Birding (all 883+Flip) or for my reserve page, Saltholme (most 883+Flip). If you like the results and have any questions about the videos then get back to me and I'll happily help as best I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back