• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 25-60x ep digiscoping question (1 Viewer)

davpen

Hello. I just posted this same question in the Nikon V1 thread, so apologies if you've already seen it.

Is anyone using a Nikon V1 with 11-27.5mm or 10-30mm lenses on the 880 series with the new 25-60x ep and DA10 digiscoping adapter? I understand that the eye relief on the Kowa zoom is a fairly constant 17mm and would like to know how this works out in terms of vignetting.

Cheers,

David

I have Nikon 8400. New zoom is not better than 20-60x in terms of vignetting for this camera. Old 20x was very good for digiscoping. All above 20x in old zoom was useless for digiscoping. In new zoom I take pictures above 25x quite often. The geometry of new zoom is different. When I attach cammera, and zoom in, the vignetting gets bigger and bigger, it disappears about 2.5x in camera. I think the old zoom was great. So I think that eyerelief is not quite constant and is less than 17mm.

Thanks mblank, that's useful. I hope to digiscope with the zoom mostly between 35-60x and am particularly interested in how the vignetting is there, compared to, say, 20-30x (when using the same focal length on the camera, obviously).

David

Edit: I'd be interested in the vignetting results with any camera - especially when using the DA10.

Last edited:
I use DA10 too. When I zoom camera to about 3x, I have no vignetting in a whole range 25x-60x.

Regards,
Mariusz

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back