• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Knepp Grounds Is It Worth A Visit? (1 Viewer)

RWW

United Kingdom
Hi, Just read an article on the forum from back in 2019 about Knepp and wonder if anyone has any more recent observations.
I am visiting Brighton next week and looking for somewhere to photograph birds mainly.
Thank You, Russ.

Hi, Just read an article on the forum from back in 2019 about Knepp and wonder if anyone has any more recent observations.
I am visiting Brighton next week and looking for somewhere to photograph birds mainly.
Thank You, Russ.
It's a nice place to visit, probably better in the spring but should still be quite a lot about, you will definitely be able to get pics of the Storks, usually Red Kites and Buzzards about. Lots of warblers and other small stuff, but will be feeding young now so will be pretty skulky!! You might get some good butterflies , Purple Emperor, White Admiral and Purple Hairstreak bit not sure at what point they appear!

It's a nice place to visit, probably better in the spring but should still be quite a lot about, you will definitely be able to get pics of the Storks, usually Red Kites and Buzzards about. Lots of warblers and other small stuff, but will be feeding young now so will be pretty skulky!! You might get some good butterflies , Purple Emperor, White Admiral and Purple Hairstreak bit not sure at what point they appear!
Thankyou was beginning to think no one had visited as more than 50 views and your the only reply. Thanks again, Russ.

The purple emperors are out now. Not specifically heard anything about white admiral at knepp but they’re flying generally at the moment so should be

I used to live 12 miles away, and can certainly say it's well worth a visit. As mentioned above, the Purple Emperor are out, and have recovered well from last years abysmal year, and the Storks have expanded their population massively this year, more than a dozen nests with chicks, so definitely worth seeing, the young will be getting close to fledging. There are always Whitethroats, Flycatchers and lots of Green Woodpeckers too. Fabulous place. Also worth a visit is Warnham Nature Reserve at Horsham. It's especially good for Kingfishers at the moment.

I used to live 12 miles away, and can certainly say it's well worth a visit. As mentioned above, the Purple Emperor are out, and have recovered well from last years abysmal year, and the Storks have expanded their population massively this year, more than a dozen nests with chicks, so definitely worth seeing, the young will be getting close to fledging. There are always Whitethroats, Flycatchers and lots of Green Woodpeckers too. Fabulous place. Also worth a visit is Warnham Nature Reserve at Horsham. It's especially good for Kingfishers at the moment.
Thanks that is one bird I haven't got a decent image of

Thanks that is one bird I haven't got a decent image of
I still keep track of goings on there. There have been a male and female with one young this past week. They do love to perch in front of the Aston Hide, they are only about 25ft away.

Well back from South of the country with really not a lot, sat for two separate hours in the Sandmartin hide at Arundel waiting for the King Fisher to show but no luck.
Visited Knepp and Arundel, very few birds at Knepp, maybe wrong time of year.

Attachments

• Brighton (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    Brighton (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Brighton (1 of 1).jpg
    Brighton (1 of 1).jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Arundel.jpg
    Arundel.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back