• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Java Sparrow Status in USA (1 Viewer)

Ref. Bill Pranty 2004. Trash Birds: Florida's Exotic Avifauna - A Preliminary Checklist. Birding 36(4): 362-372:

"A population of Java Sparrows (native to islands of Oceania) was found at Coral Gables around 1960 and numbered up to 150 individuals in 1968-1969 (Owre 1973). However, this population was extirpated by 1977 (Stevenson and Anderson 1994). Java Sparrows no longer can be imported into the U.S. (James 1997), although they are found in aviculture. Escapees, including white avicultural morphs, are frequently reported in Florida, but they do not persist. This individual [photograph: Cocoa Beach, Florida; November 2000] was one of two that built a nest in the gutter of a house, but both disappeared within three weeks."​

Richard

Hmm...news to me. I thought they were Pacific Islanders myself.....surely a species brought in. Are they the same in appearance in Florida?

Puerto Rico is, as far as I can tell, a part of the US (well to some extent at least), and you may be interested to know that a population seems to be stable in the San Juan area.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back