• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a polecat ..Italy (1 Viewer)

Marmot

Whilst watching Ski jumping on Television this morning this creature which I think might be a polecat jumped onto the fence to watch it, it sat for a couple of moments and then jumped onto the floor following a photographer and then ran off. Is it a Polecat or what is it .....Photo is Valle de Fiemme, Trentino, Italy

Attachments

• 1484478110971.jpg
    1484478110971.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 141
You sure it's not a Stone Marten?

They prefer more open habitat than Pine, I've seen one running between parked cars in Zagreb.

Andy

Is this a polecat

You sure it's not a Stone Marten?

They prefer more open habitat than Pine, I've seen one running between parked cars in Zagreb.

Andy
Thou the photo,s Indicate a bushy tail resemblance of a pine marten, the pale patch on the chest does spread out resembleing the stone Marten and shorter ears to so stone marten it is.

Last edited:
Thank you, those were the best photos I could do off the TV. It must have been used to being near humans as it started to follow one of the photographers up the steps.

Thankfully it didn't run over the skijumping tracks a minute later otherwise it could have caused injury to itself and the jumper coming down the hill.

Beech Marten Martes foina - note the white bib (yellowish in Pine Marten); also much commoner in S Europe than Pine Marten.

Not heard of Stone Marten, where does that occur?

Beech Marten Martes foina - note the white bib (yellowish in Pine Marten); also much commoner in S Europe than Pine Marten.

I believe it's another name for a Beech marten Martes foina - fouine I believe to the locals in SW France

I generally use Stone Marten - name is interchangeable with Beech Marten (and I'd say rather more appropriate given its habitat choices).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back