• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Juvenile Northern goshawk? (1 Viewer)

Mila

I wonder if I made a correct ID of this bird. I filmed it in San Francisco.
An adult red-tailed was very unhappy about this intruder.
Thanks!

It's definitely not a goshawk and is a Buteo hawk. I think it's another red-tail: I think I can see a dark belly belt and dark leading edges to the inner wing.

I wonder if I made a correct ID of this bird. I filmed it in San Francisco.
An adult red-tailed was very unhappy about this intruder.
Thanks!
It's a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. It had a belly band as The Fern mentioned as well as the classic dark patagial markings on the underwing and the light markings in the scapulars. Those calls were classic 'begging' calls of juvie RTHAs, there was no red in the tail (like that of the adult who came by) and let's say that the bird was less than 'graceful' while trying to land while holding prey! :) The adult was probably a parent.

Hope that helps.

Well, I sent the video to Cornell Lab of Ornithology . Below is their response:

“Hi Mila,
Thank you for contacting the Cornell Lab of Ornithology! I believe the hawk you spotted is a Swainson's Hawk. The footage you captured is beautiful!
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best,
Caroline Stamm
Public Informations Assistant
Cornell Lab of Ornithology “

BTW, yesterday I have filmed this video

It was filmed nearby of the first one.

Not sure why
Well, I sent the video to Cornell Lab of Ornithology . Below is their response:

“Hi Mila,
Thank you for contacting the Cornell Lab of Ornithology! I believe the hawk you spotted is a Swainson's Hawk. The footage you captured is beautiful!
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best,
Caroline Stamm
Public Informations Assistant
Cornell Lab of Ornithology “

BTW, yesterday I have filmed this video

It was filmed nearby of the first one.
Not sure which video you sent to Cornell. However, if we're talking about the one with the adult red-tail then the immature bird is definitely another red-tail and not swainson's for the reasons we've said. If you compare with images of swainson's you'll see they have almost nothing in common.

Not sure why

Not sure which video you sent to Cornell. However, if we're talking about the one with the adult red-tail then the immature bird is definitely another red-tail and not swainson's for the reasons we've said. If you compare with images of swainson's you'll see they have almost nothing in common.
I sent them the first one.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back