• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India- Mammal fest- Gujarat and Tadoba (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

India has always been a firm favorite of mine and I can't tell you how exited I have been with putting together this return trip for end feb 2013. This is a twin centre trip focusing on Gujarat and Tadoba tiger reserve.

Now that we have the itinery all worked out, I am looking for others to join me. Ideally I need a group of 8 people in total, with at least one lady willing to share to aviod the Single room supplement.

If any of you are interested in this trip, with the focus being primarily on Asiatic lion, wolf, leopard, striped hyena in Gujarat and sloth bear, Tigers and dhole in Tadoba, and a host of other mammal and birdlife, please let me know.

My good friend Jo Thomas (Wild about travel) is organising the trip so we know we will be in safe hands.

The itinery is all laid out in the attached document with prices etc. Flights are not included so will also need to be factored in.

The sites in Gujarat are well known to anyone who has researched a trip to that area. We will be going to the Little Rann of Kutch, for the asiatic wild ass and myriad of birdlife, we will spend time in Gir National park focusing on the Asiatic lion, and also Velavadar which is a great site for indian grey wolf and Striped Hyena. We have chosen some very well placed accommodation. For instance, Indian grey wolf has been seen in the grounds of Blackbuck lodge in Velavader.

For me, no trip to India is complete without a chance to see Tiger! We have chosen Tadoba for this trip, which is less well known. After a lot of consideration, we settled on Tadoba as it has delivered consistently amazing tiger sightings this year (from first hand reports) and is also delivering excellent sightings of dhole and sloth bear. Leopard has also been seen fairly frequently. Tadoba is also likely to be much quieter in terms of vehicles in comparison to e.g. Bandhavgarh and Kanha. In fact, as Tiger Trails resort is situated with it's own entrance to the park, people have reported having the park to themselves for the first hour or so- something that never happens in the other more well known parks. We will be staying at both tiger trails and another resort in the area to explore the different parts of the park.

FYI Kanha has also not been as productive for tiger sightings the past two years as there has been a lot of burning in the area at this time of year.

Please let me know if you might be interested. We will be at the bird fair in August if you would like to discuss in person :D

Jo :t:

Attachments

• Tigers Lions Hyenas and Wolves tour Feb March 2013 small group final -1.pdf
    999.4 KB · Views: 245
Hi folks,

Just a reminder about this trip. It is definitely going ahead and we have space for five more people if anyone would like to join! Jo Thomas and I will be at the bird fair so that would give anyone who may be interested a chance to meet the team and chat about all the fantastic wildlife that we are going to be targetting. :t:

All the best

Jo

Hi folks,

Just a reminder about this trip. It is definitely going ahead and we have space for five more people if anyone would like to join! Jo Thomas and I will be at the bird fair so that would give anyone who may be interested a chance to meet the team and chat about all the fantastic wildlife that we are going to be targetting. :t:

All the best

Jo

Hi Jo, just saw yr post. Planning a similar trip but in first half of Dec. Just posted this on Info Wanted in this forum, Grateful for any pointers from yr planning.
Planning to visit Gujarat in India in early Dec. Planning to be in Gir NP, Rann of Katch (hopefully Little and Large) and Porbanda. I intend to do birding and photographing mammals. Has anyone been around these areas recently as I am looking for info including local agents and the parks to visit.

Thanks

Just one point worthy of mention - in this last month, the Indian government has banned tourism in core areas of tiger reserves, i.e. the areas where the cat is most frequently seen. Unless this is overturn, I have no idea how this will bear out in the coming season.

Ruling is expected on August 22. If not overturn, disaster for local communities and ultimately one has to conclude probably for tigers too.

Hi folks,

just to let you know that as we are keen to firm up numbers we can offer £100 off the attached pricing schedule if you can commit to this trip by the 15th December.

Hari, Jo will be sending an email out soon (tomorrow probably) to those of us who have expressed an interest with the same offer, so just giving you a heads up on this.

Ideally though, I am also looking for another single female who is willing to share a room with me in order to avoid single supplement charges.
:t:

All the best

Jo

Merry Christmas one and all!

Just to bump this to say the offer has been extended to the end of December. :)

Still really hoping for another single lady to join me! :)

All the best

Jo

Hello everyone,

We've had a bit of an issue with this trip in that the only other person who was definitely keen, has since dropped out. So in a last ditch effort to keep the trip viable, we have re-worked the itinerary slightly, dropping the accompanying naturalist guide from the Tadoba section. This means that the price has come down to:

2 people travelling together £2765
3 people travelling together £2350
4 people travelling together £2265
Single room supplement **£ 630

Excludes flights (international and domestic).

At the moment we only have a couple of "maybes" besides myself and we desperately need to finalise numbers if this trip is to happen so we can book the jeeps etc.

If anyone is interested and can make a firm commitment by the end of December, please let me know!

eta: Looks like two of us are stil keen. So we are looking at the price for 3 or more...

All the best

Jo :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back