• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iezer-Călărași (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

For anyone visiting Bucharest, particularly in winter, Iezer-Călărași (an IBA situated just outside the city of Călărași) may be the best birding opportunity in winter close enough to Bucharest (about 90 minutes drive).
Below is a list of species I have seen in this area during my trips there – 3 or 4 in the last 2 years, exclusively in winter (mainly December). The list may be not very long – note that there’s no woods there, hence the very few Passerines records – but contains very interesting species, featuring the Red-breasted goose.
It’s here where the first occurrence of Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus) in Romania was recorded (December 2008) – perhaps nothing very special to many of you, but certainly interesting to us :)

Sorry for having posted only Latin names, as they are recorded this way in my database - I'm sure you will figure them out.
If you feel the need for any further detail, please shoot at me with a PM.

Gavia stellata
Podiceps cristatus
Tachybaptus ruficollis
Pelecanus crispus
Pelecanus onocrotalus
Phalacrocorax carbo
Phalacrocorax pygmeus
Cygnus columbianus
Cygnus cygnus
Cygnus olor
Branta ruficollis
Anser albifrons
Anas acuta
Anas crecca
Anas platyrhynchos
Mergus merganser
Tadorna ferruginea
Ardea cinerea
Buteo buteo
Circus aeruginosus
Circus cyaneus
Accipiter nisus
Haliaeetus albicilla
Falco columbarius
Falco tinnunculus
Perdix perdix
Phasianus colchicus
Fulica atra
Calidris alpina
Gallinago gallinago
Numenius arquata
Vanellus vanellus
Philomachus pugnax
Tringa erythropus
Tringa nebularia
Larus cacchinans
Larus michahellis
Larus ridibundus
Galerida cristata
Melanocorypha calandra
Motacilla alba
Anthus pratensis
Anthus petrosus
Anthus spinoletta
Passer montanus
Pica pica
Corvus corone cornix
Corvus frugilegus
Corvus monedula
Sturnus vulgaris
Turdus pilaris
Parus major
Carduelis carduelis
Emberiza schoeniclus

You can also find some pictures and a more thorough description on my blog:
http://florinsadventours.blogspot.com/2010/12/winter-birding-at-calarasi.html

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back