• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id from description, no photo, cheshire, uk (1 Viewer)

bartolli

My sister in law saw this bird on her feeder in mollington, adjacent to farmed fields: about blackbird size; bright rosy pink underside; grey back + top of head; black "zorro" mask from beak through eyes; long thin beak.

My suggestions, all rejected, included: jay, redstart, nuthatch, wheatear, bullfinch, et al!

Looking through my bird books hasn't helped. Any suggestions welcomed!

Ta!

Rose Coloured has a complete black and is pinkish on the back . Although Nuthatch is not Blackbird size the description of grey back and top of head and Zorro mask from beak through eyes would suggest Nuthatch.

Ta for the suggestions, Googled some images + both negative. General comment from s-I-l + missus that the back and top of head was grey with the black mask just through the eyes to the beak. they added that this bird was very distinctive and stood out from the usual visitors.
Many thanks.

I agree, sometimes when a bird is viewed from a distance and there are no other birds in the immediate area for size comparison the size of the bird could be misjudjed.

Hi folks! As I thought of possibilities and as everyone makes suggestions, I'm showing them photos. I did think of lesser/great grey shrikes but beak is apparently totally wrong. I tried nuthatch as it sounded v likely, but this was a definite no, mainly down to size, but also "it didn't look like that". Distance from the bird was less than 20 ft.

Would agree that some aspects of the description may not be spot on, esp as they are not birdwatchers.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

On a feeder - Nuthatch surely? They are quite bulky and appear bigger than they are and would be the first thing to rule out on description and behaviour (Wheatear on a feeder?!!!). Depending on the type of feeder, the posture may have been very different to the Google images of a bird crawling along on a branch too...

Thanks for all the comments, I'm inclined to think it was prob a nuthatch, even though sil + missus keep rejecting the various nuthatch photos I show them! Maybe they'll manage a photo next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back