• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iberian Chiffchaff ID (Spain) (1 Viewer)

ruggiel

Luciano Ruggieri
I just returned from a holiday trip to Malaga (Andalucia, S Spain) with an ID doubt concerning 2 chiffchaffs seen and photographed December 6th, at Desembocadura del Gudalhoce close to Malaga.

The birds were very close but they did not call.

My identification was Iberian Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus ibericus) since the overall yellow plumage tones, the strong supercilium extending well above the eye, the short tail projection, the whitish vent, even if the yellow light could emphasize the tones.
I contacted Ricard Gutierrez who agreed but also remembered me the species may winter in Africa.

What do you think about? Do you have any record of Iberian Chiffchaff in S Spain early December?

Merry Xmas

Luciano

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 37
The population is still building up here in Mauritania even with some going further south. This suggests to me that many must linger further north of here right up until now. However whether they linger in the southern most part of Spain I can't tell you.

Rob

Last edited:
The ever useful "Birds of Iberia" tells me that departing Iberian Chiffchaff numbers peak in the second half of September but some linger into October (and fewer still into early November). They return in the second half of February. It also notes ringing has found a bird in Valencia as late as 7/12 and one on the Ebro Delta on 20/11. So wintering seems unusual but given how easily they could be missed is probably under-reported.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back