• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's Your 2023 List Going? (3 Viewers)

I was off work today for Good Friday, so of course I went birding. I added three birds to my Year List.

109. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
110. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
111. Blue-headed Vireo

Dave

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I heard owls in the woods behind the house. Birder that I am, I grabbed by spotlight and bird call app, and headed out. After a bit, I called in an owl which sat perched overhead while I was able to get great looks.

114. Barred Owl

Dave

Approaching respectability ( the first page on BUBO) after my second out-of-county trip today with mates up in the Yorkshire Dales.
Red Grouse, Black Grouse, Grey Partridge, Ring Ouzel, Dipper, Spoonbill and Willow Tit take me up to 154.

These since Friday. The Cuckoo was incidental in Segovia, but the rest were in Rivas-Vaciamadrid. Pleased to find Ferruginous Duck today as it's uncommon here and I usually only see it once locally each year.

193. Common Swift
194. Spectacled Warbler
195. Common Cuckoo
196. Eurasian Wryneck
197. Great Reed Warbler
198. Ferruginous Duck

I broke the 200 mark at a windy Santillana reservoir today. Kentish Plover is rare for Madrid.

199. Osprey
200. Kentish Plover
201. Woodchat Shrike

147. Water Pipit
148. Common House Martin
149. Northern Wheatear
150. Alpine Chough

From this morning in Somiedo National Park. The weather wasn't fantastic so I missed most of the mountain specialties.

Moving right along with the Spring: Hoopoe, Manx Shearwater, Willow Warbler, Little Owl, Barn Owl, House Martin, Little Gull, Little Ringed Plover, Tree Pipit, Woodlark, Red-legged Partridge, Whimbrel, Sandwich Tern, Corn Bunting, Stone Curlew, Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-crowned Night Heron, Pied Flycatcher. 169.

(Picayune Strand State Forest)
211. Red-headed Woodpecker
212. Eastern Bluebird

(South Miami Area)
213. Chimney Swift

Last edited:
A nice selection of spring migrants today.

117. Black-throated Green Warbler
118. Yellow-throated Warbler
119. Yellow-throated Vireo
120. Ruby-throated Hummingbird

The hummingbird came to my feeder which I put up a few days ago. It was the earliest one I've ever seen in this area by six days.

Dave

Since I go by the eBird list, I've had minus one from my year list since last posting as eBird has changed the exotic status of Black Swan locally from 'provisional' to 'escaped'. I never understood why it was listed as 'provisional' in the first place but I don't argue.

I had a good day on Saturday adding three species at Santillana again - waders finally arriving in better numbers and variety (though to be honest a fabulous view of a hare trumped the birds for me). Today was relatively poor on the bird front but did manage to add Greater Short-toed Lark. The highlight today was surely witnessing a Montpellier snake predating a rabbit right in front of me. Very impressive! And unexpected. If a little bit traumatising...

201. Sanderling
202. Common Greenshank
203. Common Ringed Plover
204. Greater Short-toed Lark

Probably the latest in the past 8 springs it took me to get to 100
61​
Franklin's Gull
62​
Eastern Meadowlark
63​
Western Meadowlark
64​
Sandhill Crane
65​
Great-tailed Grackle
66​
Pied-billed Grebe
67​
Common Grackle
68​
Green-winged Teal
69​
Wilson's Snipe
70​
Eastern Phoebe
71​
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
72​
Purple Martin
73​
Tree Swallow
74​
Common Loon
75​
Double-crested Cormorant
76​
Fox Sparrow
77​
Blue-winged Teal
78​
Savannah Sparrow
79​
Ring-necked Duck
80​
Great Blue Heron
81​
Great Egret
82​
Baird's Sandpiper
83​
Chipping Sparrow
84​
Cooper's Hawk
85​
Lesser Yellowlegs
86​
Vesper Sparrow
87​
Northern Bobwhite
88​
Lincoln's Sparrow
89​
Brown Creeper
90​
Orange-crowned Warbler
91​
Hudsonian Godwit
92​
Least Sandpiper
93​
Pectoral Sandpiper
94​
Loggerhead Shrike
95​
House Wren
96​
Northern Pintail
97​
Forster's Tern
98​
Field Sparrow
99​
Eastern Towhee
100​
White-throated Sparrow
101​
American Wigeon
102​
Brown Thrasher

A very good day today adding four year ticks plus a lifer (first one of the year)! Also stumbled across a Melodious Warbler in an unusual spot during a work break a couple of days ago. Today also brought another close encounter with a snake (albeit a much less intimidating one). I inadvertently flushed a Heron and in the process saved a fortunate Viperine Water Snake from being dinner.

205. Melodious Warbler
206. Whinchat
207. Common Whitethroat
208. Spotted Redshank
209. Eurasian Spoonbill
210. Temminck's Stint

Today's additions to the Year List included a thrush and a bunch of warblers.

122. Wood Thrush
123. Black-and-white Warbler
124. Ovenbird
125. Hooded Warbler
126. Palm Warbler
127. Yellow Warbler

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back