• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many species of owl have you seen (1 Viewer)

1. Short-eared Owl
2. Barred Owl
3. Northern Saw-whet Owl
4. Great Horned Owl
5. Long-eared Owl
6. Boreal Owl
7. Eastern Screech Owl (only heard)
8. Snowy Owl

When I saw my first (and probably my only) Boreal Owl I was so amazed how close I could get up to him. He seemed so secretive yet intrigued of me, as if he'd never seen a human before. That's why my username is named after this fascinating bird.

Clements 139 with Central Amercian Pygmy Owl and Costa Rican Pygmy Owl in Panama in December 2014-January 2015. Hoping for Striped Owl in Costa Rica in April but it has eluded me before. Unspotted Sawhet and Bare-shanked Screech-owl would be good as well!

cheers,. alan

Clements 141 with Striped Owl and Bare-shanked Screech-owl in Costa Rica April 2015. Not a sniff of the Unspotted Saw-whet. The rest of the year looks thin for owling other than a try for "Turkish Fish-owl" (not in Clements)

cheers, a

Just all our British ones and found the nests of all due to nest recording, sorry another member of our BTO nest recording team found the LEO.

Damian

Just added 'Roti' Boobook which should make it onto the list some day soon, cracking bird! Hoping for Papuan Hawk Owl in the coming weeks and maybe Palau Scops before Christmas...

Papuan Boobook added from Nimbokrang, West Papua. A long-awaited addition!

Rob

Just added 'Roti' Boobook which should make it onto the list some day soon, cracking bird! Hoping for Papuan Hawk Owl in the coming weeks and maybe Palau Scops before Christmas...

Attachments

• Papuan-Hawk-Owl-FB.jpg
    Papuan-Hawk-Owl-FB.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 67
Sorry Alan, my slip using two different names in the posts! The names are very confusing and I think IOC still use Papuan Boobook for Ninox theomacha and Papuan Hawk Owl for this Uroglaux, whereas HBW call the Uroglaux Papuan Boobook!

Northern Cassowary still possible, although better chance will a small and quiet group, we saw very fresh footprints! Nimbokrang is getting completely trashed though.

Rob

Got me confused there - then I remembered that is the new name of the old Papaun Hawk-owl, Uroglaux - a very good bird indeed. Is Northern Cassowary still on the cards there?

cheers, alan

Wow, it's been a while. I'm currently at 38 owl species.

2015 additions included Colima Pygmy-Owl and Balsas Screech-Owl. Maybe a third depending on the actual identity of 'sartorii' Barred Owl from west Mexico.

15 for me:
Western Barn Owl
African Scops Owl
Eurasian Scops Owl
Spotted Eagle-Owl
Verreaux's Eagle-Owl
Tawny Owl
African Wood Owl
Crested Owl
Pear-spotted Owlet
Costa Rican Pygmy Owl
African Barred Owlet
Little Owl
Southern Boobook
Short-eared Owl
Marsh Owl

Since then, Long-eared Owl in the UK, Red-chested Owlet in Kenya and Morepork in New Zealand. Hopefully I'll be able to add to my life total of one (!!!) species of Owl in Australia during the course of next year!

A quick check reveals I have seen 25 species.

1. Amazonian Pygmy Owl
2. Asian Scops Owl
3. Barn Owl
4. Brown Fish Owl
5. Brown Hawk Owl
6. Burrowing Owl
7. Eagle Owl
8. Eastern Screech Owl
9. Ferruginous Pygmy Owl
10. Great Horned Owl
11. Greyish Eagle Owl
12. Jungle Owlet
13. Koepcke’s Screech Owl
14. Little Owl
15. Long Eared Owl
16. Pearl Spotted Owlet
17. Peruvian Pygmy Owl
18. Scops Owl
19. Short Eared Owl
20. Snowy Owl
21. Spotted Owlet
22. Tawny Owl
23. Tropical Screech Owl
24. Verreaux’s Eagle Owl
25. White Faced Scops Owl

Here's my list (very small!):

1. Short-eared Owl

2. Little Owl (I definitely heard it and I think I saw it, too.)

heard only: Great Horned Owl and Eastern Screech-owl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back