• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is it that 90% of the gulls that fly past my house are flying into the wind ? (1 Viewer)

Are they flying West (Westerly being the prevailing wind) and are they going to roost (early evening)?

FWIW gulls going to roost pass over my abode every evening during the Winter months, from the East going West, to roost on the reservoirs c2miles distant.

The morning return is (very early) when I’m still (mostly) asleep.

Cheers

It is actually in the Strait of Gibraltar so we get winds which are more or less East or more or less West and, whatever the wind direction, over 90% of the gulls are flying into the wind. This can go on for days on end so it is hundreds, if not thousands of gulls.
There are roosts in both directions so one theory could be that the gulls do change their roost as the wind changes

Gulls certainly like flying into a headwind* ... as do many birds, although they don't necessarily make good headway all the time, although surprisingly they do mostly. Related to lift as in aircraft with wind speed etc. It's not often you see a bird being blown along by the wind as it were. Seabirds out to sea in windy conditions usually can be seen flying into the wind.

It's possible that birds making a return journey (if they are doing so) do by a route you don't see (eg inland).

*(Perhaps that guy who wrote Jonathan Livingstone Seagull thought so too)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back