• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Do You Pronounce ____________? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but you'll hear a hard c, Ah-rah-kaw-rih or some such in Spanish speaking countries fairly frequently, and in English speaking countries and for me this one is getting into pedantry to try to correct people.

Juh-caw-nuh in English speaking countries vs Haw-cah-nah in Spanish speaking countries vs zha-za-nah (hard to transcribe) in Brazil is even more ingrained, and I think you'd kind of be an ass to correct most people on the pronunciation. Words get absorbed into other languages and the accepted pronunciation in a place is what it is.

My favorite of the lot is Trindade Petrel :) An esoteric enough bird you can really have a go at friends for mispronouncing it, as only hardcore bird nerds would even name the species.

I dunno. I think that if the name is basically unchanged, then the original pronunciation should be kept - because why not? Why would you just take a word and change it slightly, because that's how you think that it should be read? I have absolutely nothing against languages having their own names for birds, but it really doesn't make sense just to "mildly butcher" the real name, does it? Btw. that's what Czech does for almost every bird - provides a unique, Czech name, which is not an acoustic approximation of the original, but typically is a completely independent take on the naming (so Jacana is "ostnák", vaguely "a thorny bird").

In that case, Jacana is in principle Portuguese so that relevant pronunciation - which is interesting to me, because I never thought about it and always read it as an English word - which I will now try to stop doing.

Is guan two syllables (goo-aan) or one (rhyming with huan)?

Hehe, and here's where Czech has failed me, because the Czech word for Guan is ... guan. But there is no way in hell to say that as one syllable in Czech :)

"Gwan" is the correct pronunciation: guan - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

Something I wondered, considering "mildly butchering" other languages: do Americans pronounce jaeger as "yayger" (staying close to the German pronunciation) or dzhayger (which would be the usual pronunciation of the j)?

Some praise for the British: at least they know how to pronounce Cetti (the Dutch all say "Setti").

We probably all mispronounce Ménétries though. Bbased on the Russian transcription of his French name, it should be pronounced may-nay-TRYEAH, but I guess most people will opt for mini-trees.
I'm still hoping to use this pedantry in the field one day!

We probably all mispronounce Ménétries though. Bbased on the Russian transcription of his French name, it should be pronounced may-nay-TRYEAH, but I guess most people will opt for mini-trees.
I'm still hoping to use this pedantry in the field one day!
in English English (can't speak for other varieties) possessives always end with a "z" or "iz" sound (the "iz" sound if the stem ends in a "s" or "z" or "j" or "ch" sound etc.) e.g. James's is JAYM-ziz, Xenospiza's is zeh-no-SPAI-zuhz.

So if correct pronunciation of the family name Ménétries is may-nay-TRYEAH, correct pronunciation of the bird name should be may-nay-TRYEAHZ

i've never heard anyone else pronounce it either as a family name or a bird name but i always have guessed either
Meh-NEH-tree-ay for the family and Meh-NEH-tree-ayz for the bird, or
Meh-NEH-tree-ayz for the family and Meh-NEH-tree-ay-ziz for the bird

cheers,
James

I would have thought that name/word should be pronounced may-nay-tree in normal circumstances. The acute accents elongate the e to produce the -ay sound and the rest of the word would be one syllable, ignoring the final consonant as usual in French. As in industrie, tuileries, etc.

Then, add an s sound in English to get the possessive - may-nay-trees. God knows what French speakers would call it - Chanteuse* de Ménétries?

An exception would be in song or poetry, when a syllable can be inserted to help a line scan better. As in "allons enfants de la patrie", where the final word effectively has a third syllable added for this reason.

I look forward to somebody penning a rousing march about a small warbler and crowbarring in that name.

(* joke)

in English English (can't speak for other varieties) possessives always end with a "z" or "iz" sound (the "iz" sound if the stem ends in a "s" or "z" or "j" or "ch" sound etc.) e.g. James's is JAYM-ziz, Xenospiza's is zeh-no-SPAI-zuhz.

So if correct pronunciation of the family name Ménétries is may-nay-TRYEAH, correct pronunciation of the bird name should be may-nay-TRYEAHZ

i've never heard anyone else pronounce it either as a family name or a bird name but i always have guessed either
Meh-NEH-tree-ay for the family and Meh-NEH-tree-ayz for the bird, or
Meh-NEH-tree-ayz for the family and Meh-NEH-tree-ay-ziz for the bird
Yes, I had neglected the final possessive s here as my message would have become overly long!
I believe the native speakers were also wondering about how to pronounce Ménétries... the discussion is buried somewhere in the taxonomy forum.

I would have thought that name/word should be pronounced may-nay-tree in normal circumstances. The acute accents elongate the e to produce the -ay sound and the rest of the word would be one syllable, ignoring the final consonant as usual in French. As in industrie, tuileries, etc.

Then, add an s sound in English to get the possessive - may-nay-trees. God knows what French speakers would call it - Chanteuse* de Ménétries?

An exception would be in song or poetry, when a syllable can be inserted to help a line scan better. As in "allons enfants de la patrie", where the final word effectively has a third syllable added for this reason.

I look forward to somebody penning a rousing march about a small warbler and crowbarring in that name.

(* joke)
I’ve had a try ( to be sung to the tune of the French National anthem La Marseillaise), it also recounts how I saw my first ever Ménétries (in Syria in 2010).
Altogether now:

When we marched into Palmyra

The Bald Ibis had long gone

We saw a few smart Desert Finches

But the Waldrapp there were none.

To the date palms we must go

Where the warblers sometimes show

March on, march on

Or crawl upon our knees

Till we find that Menetries!

Pronounced menehtrees otherwise it doesn’t work!

Something I wondered, considering "mildly butchering" other languages: do Americans pronounce jaeger as "yayger" (staying close to the German pronunciation) or dzhayger (which would be the usual pronunciation of the j)?
I say YAY gur. And I have seen all three species.

I used to think of Prothonotary as a type of notary. If we have secretary birds, why not a notrary?

I used to think of Prothonotary as a type of notary. If we have secretary birds, why not a notrary?
Like a proto-notary? (eg the original/primal notary?!)

I would probably avoid saying the above species in public, how is it meant to be pronounced?

I’ve had a try ( to be sung to the tune of the French National anthem La Marseillaise), it also recounts how I saw my first ever Ménétries (in Syria in 2010).
Altogether now:

When we marched into Palmyra

The Bald Ibis had long gone

We saw a few smart Desert Finches

But the Waldrapp there were none.

To the date palms we must go

Where the warblers sometimes show

March on, march on

Or crawl upon our knees

Till we find that Menetries!
No Bald Ibises or Waldrapps?! How about Geronticus calvus ?

;-)

(As an aside the latin sounds a bit like a cross between that King Caratacus character (also immortalised in rhyme?), Geronimo and a cow).

I say it "proe-tho-noe-tary", and I think that's how I've heard others say it.

Logically, given the word's origins as the title of a principal note-taker, the "notary" part should be said as if it were almost a separate word (as qwerty has it above), to allow space for that meaning. However, I have most often heard Americans say it like Tero (two above, although I'd render it pra-thawn'i'tray), in much the same syllable-conserving way as laboratory becomes "labra-torri".

I do try to remember, though, that "the way Americans say it" is the way most people say it (or spell it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back