• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holland - advice when to go! (1 Viewer)

katieh80

We were booked to visit in early April but the trip will now sadly not happen due to travel restrictions. We are keen to reschedule rather than cancel. We are staying near the Hoge Veluwe National Park. It'll probably be late September onwards we could go (assuming we are able). Is this a good time to see birds or are we better to go later? We've read about the area having lots of LEO's so would be keen to try see these and my husband would love to see a black woodpecker! Thank you :)

Most important tip: get your head around https://waarneming.nl/ to find out what's where!

Black Woodpecker is always possible, but you'll increase your chances by going to areas where they are regularly reported. They like to call – it helps to learn their various noises (they won't be drumming in September).

Late September is a good time to see Red Deer rut in the Hoge Veluwe (yes I'm aware they're not birds). Otherwise it's probably not the best time for birding, except if you like to see large amounts of migratory birds flying overhead (Chaffinches etc).

You'd get more birds a bit later (once geese etc. have arrived), when there should also be Great Grey Shrikes on the heath lands. Otherwise, the forest and heath areas can be rather quiet in winter. Long-eared Owls are kept under wraps a bit because they tend to attract too many photographers.

An interesting area not too far away is the unassuming looking agricultural landscape north of Duiven: this is a favourite with raptors, with Hen Harriers etc.

You're welcome to send me a PM once your trip goes ahead if you need further advice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back