• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hippolais polyglotta? Cádiz, ES / 5 jun 2023 (1 Viewer)

Hello,

pending for more images, but I think they could well turn this into an Western Bonellis Warbler:
  • right colours for a Phylloscopus, although surely enhanced (or only the result of?) reflection of vegetation.
  • distinct and complete unbroken eye-ring
  • despite appearant undertail coverts, I struggle to see Redd Warbler here. Is it just the colouration? No I think its more, but I struggle to give reasons.
Or is it a mega pitfall picture of an Atlas Pied Flycatcher? No, this seems even weirder to me.

Conclusion? I hope for more pictures and comments and thanks Rafael again. If forced I would opt for Bonellis Warbler, but I am prepared to be corrected. If yes, thanks so much you know.

I wouldn’t dwell too much on apparent plumage tones with the bird under such strong green light coming through the canopy.

Im not really getting a Phylloscopus feeling from this bird although there’s not a lot to go on. The undertail coverts are about the only feature we can be sure we can see, and this strongly points towards Acrocephalus.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back