• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Himachal or Arunachal, 1-14/03/2009 (1 Viewer)

temmie

I have two weeks on my own, starting from Delhi, to go birding in the Eastern or Western Himalayas. If anyone is interested in birdwatching in one of these areas and would like to keep me company, PM will be warmly welcomed. B :)

My first idea was to take a flight Delhi-Guwahati (120-130 euro), and visit Dirang, Kaziranga and Eaglenest. My focus is seeing (and photographing) endemics and range-restricted species. I tend to get up very early, walk large distances, sit quiet for some time, and without the slightest afternoon dip, keep going until (and after) dark. ;)
My alternative plan (if too much hassle to get Restricted Area Permit) is to visit the Himalaya NP and Nainital in the Western Himalayas. This would be the more easy-in-reach, but I am really attracted to the east (in order to see species like Bugun Liocichla, Beautiful nuthatch, Ward's Trogon, Rufous Necked-Hornbill and some more Laughingthrushes and Parrotbill compared to the west).

Cheers, Lieven

Hi Lieven,

Not sure how much you have looked into it but getting a restricted area permit is only easy if you go through a well-known travel agent and is for a minimum of 4 pax at $50 per head. Though you can pay $200 and they just ignore the missing 3 pax at the border.

Likewise, travelling round Arunachal Pradesh is only feasible with private transport and in March you would need a 4wd - especially at Eaglenest.
Might be worth advertising your trip on Oriental Birding Yahoo group.

I hope you do get there though - superb birding in wonderful scenery.

James

hmmm.

That's less than a rock festival but better than Disney Land |:||

I am aware of the effort it might cost to get that RAP, and travelling solo will always be somehow hazardeous (safety and administration) and more expensive than with some other birders...

If you have any recommendation about travel agencies on the spot, or a way to get around the steep price, every advice is appreciated. I was thinking of 'joining' a tour group, just to get into the area, but I have no idea if this is a legal way (something like how people get into Tibet as part of a group).
I am on purpose not choosing the (probably) easiest way to get into the area, but no tourgroup schedule fits within my timing (I am bound to a friend's wedding in Goa one week earlier), and I have no goldmine in my backyard. ;)

The best I can find is Kaati tours. http://ornifolks.org/Ornifolks/NE_India.htm
I probably will try my luck over there...

By the way: congrats for your 1000th post, James B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back