• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highgate-Waterlow Park (1 Viewer)

This morning the only birds of note were 5 lapwings and 3 Golden Plover over Highgate Station, heading west. Not that either are to be sniffed at on my watch.

In the park the Siskin and Redpoll flock appeared to have grown, though were a bit distant for counting. 2 Green Woodpeckers gave good close up views. A Nuthatch briefly glimpsed also.

The melting of the ice has resulted in an increase of waterbirds, though not to the extent that the Wetland trust have shown an interest in taking over. A pair of ringed Canada Geese seem to have taken up territory, and a pair of Tufted duck have appeared overnight. Another long stare at the reedbed resulted in nothing other than a bit of eyestrain. Though there was a flyover Heron to add to the mornings list.

Now to digress, for the second time this week I've found myself under prolonged observation from a couple of shall we say, older ladies. I'm not sure if they're admiring my manly figure,or discussing whether I'm a heinous park lurker. I suspect the latter. Must be the leather jacket, I may have to invest in a duck-turd green Barbour/Parama, so I look the part. Though to be honest, I suspect I used to look like a flasher the last time I owned one of these. Which is hardly going to reassure the neighbourhood watch.

Last edited:
This morning the only birds of note were 5 lapwings and 3 Golden Plover over Highgate Station, heading west. Not that either are to be sniffed at on my watch.

In the park the Siskin and Redpoll flock appeared to have grown, though were a bit distant for counting. 2 Green Woodpeckers gave good close up views. A Nuthatch briefly glimpsed also.

The melting of the ice has resulted in an increase of waterbirds, though not to the extent that the Wetland trust have shown an interest in taking over. A pair of ringed Canada Geese seem to have taken up territory, and a pair of Tufted duck have appeared overnight. Another long stare at the reedbed resulted in nothing other than a bit of eyestrain. Though there was a flyover Heron to add to the mornings list.

Now to digress, for the second time this week I've found myself under prolonged observation from a couple of shall we say, older ladies. I'm not sure if they're admiring my manly figure,or discussing whether I'm a heinous park lurker. I suspect the latter. Must be the leather jacket, I may have to invest in a duck-turd green Barbour/Parama, so I look the part. Though to be honest, I suspect I used to look like a flasher the last time I owned one of these. Which is hardly going to reassure the neighbourhood watch.

Golden Plovers over Highgate - fantastic!

I've just got a new dull green jacket for birding - I guess you could call it duck-turd (they called it "grape leaf). I wasn't wearing it today and was grabbed by a complete stranger from behind when I was trying to spot the Bittern on the Heath. He was a birder, so I let him off. Bring on the duck turds though - I should imagine that'll make me far less "gropeable".

Now to digress, for the second time this week I've found myself under prolonged observation from a couple of shall we say, older ladies. I'm not sure if they're admiring my manly figure,or discussing whether I'm a heinous park lurker. I suspect the latter. Must be the leather jacket

There have apparently been 10 "distraction thefts" from the Lloyds and Barclays cash machines on the High Street since November, so I reckon these ladies have their eye on you for that reason. What with a firecrest, bittern and flyover Golden Plover, Highgate will be twitch central this weekend and the curtain twitchers will be beside themselves with this influx of strangers!

Golden Plovers over Highgate - fantastic!

I've just got a new dull green jacket for birding - I guess you could call it duck-turd (they called it "grape leaf). I wasn't wearing it today and was grabbed by a complete stranger from behind when I was trying to spot the Bittern on the Heath. He was a birder, so I let him off. Bring on the duck turds though - I should imagine that'll make me far less "gropeable".

Not sure they are Oysterable Deb, but I've seen Golden Plovers from a roundabout close to Cheshunt a couple of times over the last two years, including during the snow two weeks back.

Apologies for less than complimentary fashion tips! Just had the devil in me this morning. Though I think my description the more pertinent than "grape leaf". Any luck with the Bittern or Rails?

Not sure they are Oysterable Deb, but I've seen Golden Plovers from a roundabout close to Cheshunt a couple of times over the last two years, including during the snow two weeks back.

Apologies for less than complimentary fashion tips! Just had the devil in me this morning. Though I think my description the more pertinent than "grape leaf". Any luck with the Bittern or Rails?

Yes, a fantastic Bittern, eventually. It caught a massive fish while I watched. Wonderful.

I went from work so only had a monocular with me. Still managed to see the detail on the plumage - a really special bird for me this one.

May as well do a bit of a round-up for the last few days.

This morning I caught up with the Firecrest again, in the trees behind the hospital grounds, opposite the lower pond. Still with at least one Goldcrest (heard this first), and a few tits. I haven't seen it since last Tuesday, though I'm glad others have, despite having a good look around yesterday.

Finally caught up with the Bittern on Hampstead Heath yesterday. Only a brief visit but great to see. Thanks to the helpful bearded man in black that put me straight on to it. Also managed to see a Nuthatch close by.

The Siskins have been around the park in good numbers, almost guaranteed by the Lower pond, just listen out for them. Also had singing Goldfinches, Greenfinches and Chaffinches.

I'm fairly certain I heard a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker over the Cemetery direction yesterday. A bit distant but fairly quiet drumming as well as the call. I did see one a while back around this area, perhaps they are still surviving on the Heath in small numbers.

Other birds seen include a Sparrowhawk, Heron, 14 Tufted duck, RN Parakeets, 2Jackdaws, Coal tits, Green & GS Woodpeckers, Nuthatch,a couple of Stock Doves, a few Fieldfares and Redwings,up to 5 Jays and a female Blackcap.

And thats your lot.

You're getting some good birds - I haven't seen a couple of those yet this year.

Interesting about the LSW. About two years ago I was told they were near the Heath but not on the Heath. Not sure if this fits, as I'm not familiar with the area.

Hi Deb, I spoke to a birder last year who saw one in Highgate wood and I'm fairly sure they've been reported near Kenwood before.

As to the other birds, almost all of them are fairly easy to see at Waterlow over a few days. The Jackdaws are occasional though.

Nice to see a few other birders reporting on the London birder website, even saw a possible birder this morning, though he may have been a flasher. Hard to tell sometimes from a distance.

Another round up from the last few days.

Lots of regulars still around such as Goldcrest, Nuthatch, Woodpeckers, Fieldfare and and the regular Grey Heron.

This morning there was a Chiffchaff in song as I entered the park. Also 7 Greenfinches which is fairly noteworthy these days I'd say.

Yesterday I walked through Highgate woods at dusk and saw a Woodcock flying over, which came in low from Queens wood direction. Also had a Sparrowhawk just off Highgate High street and a loudly calling Tawny Owl in a garden in Muswell Hill (Sunday).
There's been quite a lot of House Sparrows close to my home recently, over 20 in one flock with a few other flocks dotted around. Seems like there may be a slow recovery in this area.

Just awaiting Spring to get started in earnest,and planning a few birding trips. Also need to get the bat detector out from wherever it was packed away last year.

Just to add, saw a Shrew in Highgate woods on the way home. Too quick to Id, but a Shrew nonetheless. Haven't seen one in a couple of years.

Also a huge rat. Now I know everyone says the rat they saw was huge but this was bleeding massive and not particularly bothered by my presence. In fact it could have passed as a Muntjac in the gloom. Massive, probably eats cats and squirrels.

A chilly, breezy morning which seems to have dampened the ardour of the recent singers in the park.

However I did find the Firecrest again. This time in a Holly bush by the lower pond, again found by hearing its call before seeing it. Its still with a tit flock, though much reduced. There was one Goldcrest around this area too.

Also 1 Little Grebe on the Lower pond. The Siskins are still by the middle pond and the regulars were still around the park. Lots of Woodpecker drumming and yaffling going on.

I've still got a reasonably large flock of Fieldfares around my flat, over 20 yesterday. Though the local Mistle Thrushes have had a lot to say about this.

Only of interest to locals I imagine but there's a pair of Grey Wagtails on the Whittington hospital site. There's been generally at least one bird around for the last 3 years. Lovely birds to see up close. I used to see them around Ingleton falls (along with Dippers) as a kid, but never imagined seeing them in the delightful environs of Archway.

Other than a Frog, everything else I've seen have been the usual park residents and regulars.

Only of interest to locals I imagine but there's a pair of Grey Wagtails on the Whittington hospital site. There's been generally at least one bird around for the last 3 years. Lovely birds to see up close. I used to see them around Ingleton falls (along with Dippers) as a kid, but never imagined seeing them in the delightful environs of Archway.

Other than a Frog, everything else I've seen have been the usual park residents and regulars.

Yes, I get where you are coming from with this. They are fairly common along the brooks up there, along with Dippers. But the day I saw one sitting on my London fence, well, let's just say I thought I needed to see a good optician at the very least!

I've seen Grey Wagtails around the moats by the Giraffes at London zoo. I've also seen one very close to Tower bridge at the lock entrance to St.Katherine's dock.

Very adaptable birds wherever there is water involved. Not much chance of a Dipper at the trafalgar square fountains though.

Went to Waterlow Park to look for the Firecrest, but although I saw several Goldcrests, and some nice birds (Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Siskins, Redwings, Mistle Thrushes, Long-tailed Tits, Coal Tits and a Nuthatch) I really couldn't find the Firecrest, if it was there.

No bins and a quick dash through the park this morning, but just managed to catch a Kingfisher leaving the Lower pond in the direction of the Heath. Also a couple of Siskins, 3 Redwings looking pristine in the sunshine, and loads of finches and tits flitting around just out of range for a good i.d.

I've been off work this week so no park birding. I did have a near summer plumage Mediterranean gull from the Greenwich ferry just short of Greenwich pier, also an Oystercatcher and 3 Ringed Plover. Both of which were seen over a pint of cider and a plate of Whitebait whilst sat outside the Trafalgar pub..

Also a female Peregrine hunting low over Charlotte Street. A Little Grebe on Wood Green res, a Meadow Pipit on the slopes beneath Alexandra Palace and a pair of Red crested Pochard on the canal at Camden.

Now back to my well earned lunch.

A quick spin on a Boris Bike during an evening away on a trip to London with work.... well quick might not be the right word....I hadn't realised how hilly London is! I guess it's Highgate for a reason!

Loads of Redwing at Waterlow park at sunset, probably 20-30 in the trees around the pond. Other than that, nothing too uncommon, although a lot of woodpeckers drumming on the way up past Highgate cemetery (audible even over my huffing and puffing).

Then on to Alexandra Park, and a whizz around the boating lake to pick up three redpoll in the trees and plenty of ducks - mallard, tufted, pochard (but sadly no shoveler). Finished off in the "conservation" area, but nothing special as it was getting quite dark by then, although a raptor of some sort flew out of the gloom...

A beautifully bright and sunny morning. A pair of Common Buzzards went slowly over, one light bird and one dark. They were heading North-east ish.

Not much change in the park except for a few more Tufties. Plenty of activity amongst the regulars though. Still a lot of finches around and one calling Chiffchaff.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back