• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring Gull with all dark eye (1 Viewer)

GMS

I came across a presumed 4cy Herring Gull with an all dark eye today. This is a known occurrence and in the Olsen book it gives a frequency of <1 in 5000 in a scandinavian sample area. Does anyone have some more/additional/newer data on this?

I came across a presumed 4cy Herring Gull with an all dark eye today. This is a known occurrence and in the Olsen book it gives a frequency of <1 in 5000 in a scandinavian sample area. Does anyone have some more/additional/newer data on this?
Hi,

I've been seeing adult/sub-adult Herrings with dark iris's in small numbers over the years... some may or may not contain Caspian genes but these 3 were typical argenteus Herrings apart from eye colour....

Cheers
Dean

Attachments

• dark eyed ad-Kirkby(small).JPG
    dark eyed ad-Kirkby(small).JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 51
  • dark eyed adult-Scarboro (small).JPG
    dark eyed adult-Scarboro (small).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • dark iris, adult, Mablethorpe (small).JPG
    dark iris, adult, Mablethorpe (small).JPG
    944 KB · Views: 50
Hi,

I've been seeing adult/sub-adult Herrings with dark iris's in small numbers over the years... some may or may not contain Caspian genes but these 3 were typical argenteus Herrings apart from eye colour....

Cheers
Dean
And another apparently fully adult (on plumage) HG been hanging around Mablethorpe with dark pigmented eyes, looking black at a distance.... though i guess the dense hind-neck streaking could be a sign of Caspian genes?

Attachments

• DSCN2313.JPG
    DSCN2313.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2314.JPG
    DSCN2314.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
The frequency of herring gulls with completely dark eyes is likely to vary based on location and other factors. It is difficult to provide more recent data on this without further information. It is possible that the frequency of herring gulls with completely dark eyes may be different in other parts of the world, or in different populations of herring gulls. It would be interesting to see if there have been any studies on this topic that have been conducted in more recent years.
historia kolorowanek
quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back