• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron - Galapagos (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

I found this Heron on a lagoon on the Island of Floreana in the Galapagos on 25th May 2018. It was across the far side of a lagoon and even with a 600mm lens it is still small in the picture. I've attached a couple of heavily cropped images. Apologies in advance for the poor quality.

I'm finding it hard to agree with what the guide was telling me and I have an idea of what I think it is but wanted to ask the experts on this forum. TIA.

Cheers
Jonno

Attachments

• DSC_7523_00003.jpg
    DSC_7523_00003.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_7524_00006.jpg
    DSC_7524_00006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Thanks Nutcracker, that was my thoughts. The guide said it was a young Great Blue Heron. My field guide says it is a "doubtful accidental with an undocumented record only"

Disclaimer: I do not know if there is a separate form of GBH on Galapagos and if they might differ in how they look from other GBH (and I do not currently have access to my Galapagos field guide). Having stated that, I also feel this is most likely a Tricolored H

Niels

Yes, this is a Tricoloured Heron and it's a vagrant to Galapagos. I don't know how many records there are, but I'm sure it's worth submitting to the Ecuadorian ornithological records committee (CERO).
The Great Blue Herons on Galapagos don't differ much from the birds in North America and are easily recognised

Maffong

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. I was pretty sure it was a Tricolored Heron and couldn't see what else it could be. There is an endemic race of GBH on Galapagos but it looks pretty much the same as the ones I've seen in N America and the Caribbean.

I will submit the report to CERO as suggested. It is likely to be the same bird seen in April.

Cheers
Jonno

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back