• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hermit Thrush and Field Sparrow? MA USA (1 Viewer)

jeen1965

Just double-checking. Hermit Thrush and Field Sparrow?-thanks

Attachments

• ResizerImage720X540hm2.jpg
    ResizerImage720X540hm2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ResizerImage720X540fs1.jpg
    ResizerImage720X540fs1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28
Where and when, precisely? Your sparrow photo looks very green, making me think it wasn't taken recently.

If winter:
Hermit thrush is possible in Massachusetts in winter, though unlikely outside Cape Cod. I think all the other thrushes are almost impossible. Looks good for Hermit anyway: nice brown color, strong eye ring. If you've got a photo that shows the tail from above, that would confirm it.

That's a textbook photo of a field sparrow, which can be found in the state year-round.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion. Just in a hurry. Field Sparrow was in Massachusetts and Hermit thrush in Connecticut. Both seen this week. I will spell out the full name of the state next time.-thanks

Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion. Just in a hurry. Field Sparrow was in Massachusetts and Hermit thrush in Connecticut. Both seen this week. I will spell out the full name of the state next time.-thanks
Full name of the state isn't important for ID. But it may make it more likely for non-U.S. birders to respond. But just using a slightly longer (non-postal) abbreviation ought to suffice, e.g. Mass. and Conn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back