• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Tinovids 10x42 (1 Viewer)

seggs

Alrite!
This is regarding cleaning the retractable eye cups, because i watch mainly around the coastal area the inside of the cups often get sand in them which is very hard to remove.
The sand looks like it worked its way more into the cups as its very hard now to push the cups back in.
I know these bins are waterproof but i don,t really like the thought of washing them.

Anyone have any tips

Sorry it should be Trinovids..typo.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
I don't know if the Trinovids are the same, but my Ultravids' eyecups are detachable - you click them out to the furthest setting, then give a pull and they come out - making removing sand with a puffer simple. If yours don't come out, you could try extending them as far as they will go, drying everything out as much as possible [ie. with silica gel packs], then using a puffer. Those pointed cotton wool buds our better halves use to remove makeup can also remove stubborn sand when dampened.
Well, that's me out of ideas - good luck! ;)

I am sorry, but confident washability in cases like this is one reason to pay the big bucks. Stories of immersion are plentiful. Personally, I think the Tri is the most rugged, best put together bino ever made! So grit (sorry about that) your teeth and plunge eyepieces only into the sink and work the eyecups.

Hi, unlike the Ultravid eycups, the Trinovid eyecups cannot be detached completely. I also think you should not worry of washing them. It's even recommended in the user manual to do so. I regularly wash the lenses of both Trinovid and Ultravid under the tap because i think it's better than rubbing the dirt in with a cloth.

That's the compact Trinovids only. The larger ones 8x32, 8x42, 10x42 etc Trinvovid BA and BN are waterproof. I have an 8x32 BN which gets washed regularely...

I have a pair of Trinovids, and they definitely get the treatment under the running tap. Much better than trying to clean in the dry state which could result in scratches on the lenses.

I have done the same with non-waterproof bins without any problems, as long as the tap is just running gently and the middle of the bin does not get hit by the direct splashing water.

Niels

I am sorry, but confident washability in cases like this is one reason to pay the big bucks. Stories of immersion are plentiful. Personally, I think the Tri is the most rugged, best put together bino ever made! So grit (sorry about that) your teeth and plunge eyepieces only into the sink and work the eyecups.

You're right, and I've done it many times with my trinovids. Works like a charm. I agree about the ruggedness also, simply the toughest ever IMO.

Thanks everyone for the replies....
I bought the bins second hand off ebay and they did,nt come with a users manual so i was a bit worried about the water issue. But after reading the replies i will be washing them under a slow running tap.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back