• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help! no birds (1 Viewer)

brian fielding

about 5 days ago i put up 4 feeders and a bird bath in my front garden. i live next to a park with lots of birds in it but as yet we have not noticed one single bird on the feeders. a house 4 doors up also has feeders and has a constant stream of goldfinches, greenfinches etc on his feeders. also some advice please on how often do i need to clean and replace uneaten food, thanks.

hi brian. sometimes birds will take a while to realise food is there and become acustomed to your feeders. just leave one feeder up until you see birds on it, then introduce the other feeders one at a time

time

brian fielding said:
about 5 days ago i put up 4 feeders and a bird bath in my front garden. i live next to a park with lots of birds in it but as yet we have not noticed one single bird on the feeders. a house 4 doors up also has feeders and has a constant stream of goldfinches, greenfinches etc on his feeders. also some advice please on how often do i need to clean and replace uneaten food, thanks.

Hi Brian
My son and I put up a feeding station in some woodland and for two weeks we saw not 1 bird but slowly they are now finding it so its just a matter of time.

lammy said:
Hi Brian
My son and I put up a feeding station in some woodland and for two weeks we saw not 1 bird but slowly they are now finding it so its just a matter of time.
i now have lots of birds on my feeders, about 3 weeks ago i put out sunflower hearts in a seed feeder and it has worked. this morning i had 10 goldfinch, 3 greenfinch, 4 house sparrows, 1 blue tit, 1 great tit plus starlings and pigeons.thanks brian.

I put out my first food last Friday night and by Saturday morning had the first visits. My trick was to attract the Starlings with (homemade) hanging coconut shell halves and a plastic tub. These are filled with sunflower hearts in a "cake" of fat leftover from sausage and bacon. I also hung up a 6-port feeder with sunflower hearts in the same tree (a small Cherry tree).

Prior to this it was quite rare for any of the local birds to visit my small garden, inlcuding the tree. Generally, I'd just get the odd Starling on the lawn. On Saturday morning a Magpie came to explore the fat feeders and was swiftly joined by a few Starlings. All the noise they were making attracted more Starlings, then a Blue Tit and then a Greenfinch. The Blue Tit explored the feeder, but a local cat was also attracted by the noise and everything flew off before the Greenfinch had chance to hop on.

One cup of water later and the cat was off. The Starlings and Magpie were back in no time, but the Blue Tit stayed away until later. All of these have been around most of the week, but no sign of the Greenfinch since.

Today I had the first Greenfinch on the feeder (just one though) and at lunchtime I had the first Goldfinch.

I've had a House Sparrow in the tree and having a look, but haven't seen one feeding on anything yet.

Attachments

• 2006-11-25 - 10-59 - Home - Magpie.jpg
    2006-11-25 - 10-59 - Home - Magpie.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2006-11-25 - 11-00 - Home - Blue_Tit - 1.jpg
    2006-11-25 - 11-00 - Home - Blue_Tit - 1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 2006-11-30 - 11-26 - Home - Greenfinch.jpg
    2006-11-30 - 11-26 - Home - Greenfinch.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 2006-11-30 - 13-00 - Home - Goldfinch.jpg
    2006-11-30 - 13-00 - Home - Goldfinch.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back