• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying a Bird of Prey Spotted in West Cornwall on bank holiday Monday. (1 Viewer)

Burrows

United Kingdom
At a loss with this one. Firstly thought it was a Buzzard but did not fly or behave like one. Apologies for the quality it was quite distant from us.
raptorporthnanven0.pngraptorporthnanven5.pngRaptorporthnanven3.pngRaptorPorthnanven2.png

Hello,

welcome to Birdforum!

I agree with Simon, Richard and John, a Common Buzzard. Please note:
  • you have at first identified it as a Common Buzzard in the field. Regulary more trustable the observers gut feeling experience than later doubts (no offence to a new member)
  • the already mentioned markings

Most similar Rough legged Buzzard can be excluded by
  • uniform brownish head, often clearly paler, greyer or with a different brown hue in the rarer RLB
  • you can see the unfeathered tarsi in picture 0 and 2, please compare to this Rough legged Buzzard (Fiener Bruch near Tucheim, NE-Germany)

The flight pattern appeared different to me, more glide, hover, glide, hover than I was used to. I am not a hardend ornithologist by any stretch so I defer to those with better knowledge.

The flight pattern appeared different to me, more glide, hover, glide, hover than I was used to. I am not a hardend ornithologist by any stretch so I defer to those with better knowledge.
A patrolling Buzzard will often use a flight pattern of this nature. It is a common error to assume that Common Buzzards don't hover but in fact they often do, especially if aided by a light wind. Almost all raptors routinely hunt into wind.

John

Yeah I saw a buzzie doing this in the distance and got quite excited (thinking maybe it was a new raptor!), but once i got closer it was very clear it was 100% a buzzard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back