• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and looking for site gen (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hello,

I am moving to Warwickshire from Norfolk (I know...) this weekend and I am looking for recommendations for good underwatched sites close to Ashorne. I have my eyes on Burton Dassett hills as an early morning vis-mig location and possibly checking Byfield res for wildfowl. The area around Hampton Lucy also looks interesting. I visited Brandon Marsh a few weeks ago and it looks like a decent site, though is obviously well watched. I have yet to check out Draycote (the premier site Warks site?) but I'm sure I will do at some point. Just in case anybody is interested, I will probably do a trip to the Severn for some form of sea-watching and any locals are welcome to come along if they so wish, just drop me a PM.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dan

Hi Dan,
Almost all sites in south Warwickshire are very under-watched, and most of the best birds are found by the same observer! I've just looked up Ashorne. The closest decent sites to there include pools at Compton Verney and Chesterton, the former site of which has a number of Hawfinch records. The area around Hampton Lucy includes Charlecote Gravel Pits (now disused), which has had both of the county's modern records of Bean Goose, plus a Bittern. I think there was a report of Firecrest at Oakley Wood this year, which might be worth checking too as it's a large wood.
Is this a permanent/semi-permanent move?
Kind regards,
Matt

Hi Matt, thanks for taking the time to reply, that is really useful, Compton Verny pools sounds like a good bet for a local patch. I'll be in the area for the next 3 years whilst my partner completes her PhD, though I'm sure I'll indulge with out of county trips, as well as travelling to see my folks in Norfolk each spring and autumn... All the best.

Hello,

I am moving to Warwickshire from Norfolk (I know...) this weekend and I am looking for recommendations for good underwatched sites close to Ashorne. I have my eyes on Burton Dassett hills as an early morning vis-mig location and possibly checking Byfield res for wildfowl. The area around Hampton Lucy also looks interesting. I visited Brandon Marsh a few weeks ago and it looks like a decent site, though is obviously well watched. I have yet to check out Draycote (the premier site Warks site?) but I'm sure I will do at some point. Just in case anybody is interested, I will probably do a trip to the Severn for some form of sea-watching and any locals are welcome to come along if they so wish, just drop me a PM.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dan
Dear Dan,
I worked as gardener then head gardener at Ashorne House for 6 and a half years. Even though birds is not my strong point I do take an interest. We had Raven fly over Ashorne House a number of times while I was there. Also I think it was twice that I saw Little Egret land on the large ponds in the grounds. Kingfisher was seen quite regularly.
Also one year while driving between Ashorne and Wellesbourne I did see a Red Kite fly over.
Sorry I cannot be of much more help but I hope this helps due to me being in that area for some time.

Brian Laney, Northamptonshire.

South Warwickshire is not very productive but as Matt said the area around Charlecote and Wasperton has potential. I have seen Great white egret on the small lake at Charlecote park as well as Little egret.
From the a429 just north of Wellesbourne there is a rough layby on the right just past the Charlecote turn ,view the flooded field from the gate opposite. From here take the lane towards Charlecote and there is a footpath on the right after 1/2m past a barn which allows access to view some pools. From here you can walk through to Wasperton or Charlecote.
There are some small pools at the west end of Lighthorne village viewable from a
footpath which can produce the odd wader and an old quarry area between here and Moreton morrel.
Ufton fields has a circular walk and has produced a few half decent birds .Snitterfiled
bushes for woodland stuff. The pool at Walton hall may be worth a look as well as Compton verney nearby . Wellesbourne airfield used to hold a large winter Golden plover flock though not many recently.A smaller GP flock is often around the a46/ a439 at Blackhill or Sandbarn lane.
Further west Abbots salford pools and then the area known as Marsh farm ,Salford priors can be good but access is not great here. The minor rd. between Broom and Dunnington was formerly productive for viewing the pits but is now suffering from disturbance.Nearby at Hillers farm shop ( good for lunch ) there is a hide behind the garden centre which looks into the woodland and has produced Crossbill.
Wormleghton reservoir can be worth a look .Napton on the hill around the church and along Brickyard lane there is a disused quarry which has produced Ring ouzel ,Great grey shrike ,Wheatear etc.

Last edited:
South Warwickshire is not very productive but as Matt said the area around Charlecote and Wasperton has potential. I have seen Great white egret on the small lake at Charlecote park as well as Little egret.
From the a429 just north of Wellesbourne there is a rough layby on the right just past the Charlecote turn ,view the flooded field from the gate opposite. From here take the lane towards Charlecote and there is a footpath on the right after 1/2m past a barn which allows access to view some pools. From here you can walk through to Wasperton or Charlecote.
There are some small pools at the west end of Lighthorne village viewable from a
footpath which can produce the odd wader and an old quarry area between here and Moreton morrel.
Ufton fields has a circular walk and has produced a few half decent birds .Snitterfiled
bushes for woodland stuff. The pool at Walton hall may be worth a look as well as Compton verney nearby . Wellesbourne airfield used to hold a large winter Golden plover flock though not many recently.A smaller GP flock is often around the a46/ a439 at Blackhill or Sandbarn lane.
Further west Abbots salford pools and then the area known as Marsh farm ,Salford priors can be good but access is not great here. The minor rd. between Broom and Dunnington was formerly productive for viewing the pits but is now suffering from disturbance.Nearby at Hillers farm shop ( good for lunch ) there is a hide behind the garden centre which looks into the woodland and has produced Crossbill.
Wormleghton reservoir can be worth a look .Napton on the hill around the church and along Brickyard lane there is a disused quarry which has produced Ring ouzel ,Great grey shrike ,Wheatear etc.

Napton on the hill has produced good numbers of Spotted fly on migration also Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler, 2 Warwickshire County Records Yellow-browed Warbler(SMH) and Icterine Warbler (PDH), Napton Reservoir has had Beareded Tit in winter in the past.

Regards, John

Stratford area, especially the Greenway is worth a few visits.
Snitterfied Bushes, Warks WT and Oversley Wood (Woodland Trust) are particularly good for butterflies.

Hi Daniel only just seen this thread. As Matt says south Warwickshire is definitely underwatched. Draycote used to be the premier site in the past but now major disturbance there and not being able to drive around has put many birders off the site. You would probably have it to yourself most days which is a shame seeing what well watched sites in Staffs are producing. Link below to my site which is updated as and when I receive news.

Regards

John

Thanks once again for all the replies. I think I've settled on Lighthorne as a patch as 1) it's only a mile away, 2) it has some excellent looking habitat and 3) it has a pretty good track record (Spotted crake, firecrest, Jack snipe ect) and 4) it's really underwatched.
I think Draycote will be on the cards later in the year for some laridophilia, not sure if it gets a big winter roost though?
To be honest it's rather nice to be in an area which is "less political" where folks can get out and enjoy the birds without worrying about thier reputation or gripping off others. It may be hard going in the area, but on the other hand it is underwatched and also on the wash - severn flyway. Fingers crossed and thanks for all the friendly replies.

Thanks once again for all the replies. I think I've settled on Lighthorne as a patch as 1) it's only a mile away, 2) it has some excellent looking habitat and 3) it has a pretty good track record (Spotted crake, firecrest, Jack snipe ect) and 4) it's really underwatched.
I think Draycote will be on the cards later in the year for some laridophilia, not sure if it gets a big winter roost though?
To be honest it's rather nice to be in an area which is "less political" where folks can get out and enjoy the birds without worrying about thier reputation or gripping off others. It may be hard going in the area, but on the other hand it is underwatched and also on the wash - severn flyway. Fingers crossed and thanks for all the friendly replies.

Hi Daniel,
There is a large roost at Draycote but veiwing is distant, Draycote can have slow periods but has a habit of producing rarities and has a good wader list, a few County Records have been recorded there and BBRC birds.

Regards, John

Hi Daniel,
There is a large roost at Draycote but veiwing is distant, Draycote can have slow periods but has a habit of producing rarities and has a good wader list, a few County Records have been recorded there and BBRC birds.

Regards, John

Once again, thanks John, really helpful info. I just need a bigger scope again now!

Hi Daniel as John says the Draycote roost can be huge some nights. An impressive 16 species, 2 escapes, hybrids and sub species plenty to go at;) Depending on wind direction though can be distant at times. Drop me or Tim Marlow a tweet when you are thinking of going and perhaps we could meet up. Find att I did for the Franklins in 2008, the purple line gave the optimum viewing areas (for the light) though you could extend this to the north shore basically making it into a C.

Regards

John

Attachments

• Draycoteroostfrankie.jpg
    Draycoteroostfrankie.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 77
Hi Daniel as John says the Draycote roost can be huge some nights. An impressive 16 species, 2 escapes, hybrids and sub species plenty to go at;) Depending on wind direction though can be distant at times. Drop me or Tim Marlow a tweet when you are thinking of going and perhaps we could meet up. Find att I did for the Franklins in 2008, the purple line gave the optimum viewing areas (for the light) though you could extend this to the north shore basically making it into a C.

Regards

John

Hi John,
What was the second escaped species? I see you took the photo of the Silver Gull on Alan Dean's website http://deanar.org.uk/wmgulls/misc/silverg.htm
Matt

Regards

John

Many thanks John, I'll let you know when I am planning to come down, will probably wait for a northernly airstream. Hope the gulls aren't too far away as my scope isn't all that powerful! Does and easterly wind push the birds closer?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back