• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht for birdwatching? (1 Viewer)

So... who actually uses an Habicht for birdwatching? Most use it for landscape viewing, night viewing or just want to have them in his collection.
But who actually bird with them?

I regularly use mine for birding along the local creek and in open countryside.

So... who actually uses an Habicht for birdwatching? Most use it for landscape viewing, night viewing or just want to have them in his collection.
But who actually bird with them?
I do with mine safe in the knowledge that should the heavens open up and throw buckets of water over me, as often happens here in God's Country, my gorgeous Habicht 8x30 and 7x42's will just laugh at the bringer of rain.

I find the 7x42's to be excellent for bird watching and the 8x30's more suited for observing the riverbank and the landscape.

I do with mine safe in the knowledge that should the heavens open up and throw buckets of water over me, as often happens here in God's Country, my gorgeous Habicht 8x30 and 7x42's will just laugh at the bringer of rain.

I find the 7x42's to be excellent for bird watching and the 8x30's more suited for observing the riverbank and the landscape.
Thought you lived in Wales🤔

Hi,

I use my 10x40 WGA regularly for general nature observations. Including birds. To me, the biggest issue of the Habichts Porro, and of all Porro binoculars as well, is the stereoscopic view. This property of all regular Porro is not ideal for extremely close observations. But this is, to me, one of the big advantage for all other situations.

About the more pronounced stereoscopic view of the normal Porro over normal roof Pechan prism binoculars, it is due, as all of you surely know, to the wide objectives separations. The binocular with Abbe-König prism are in between about this. At very close distance with Porro ones, it is necessary to fold down the binocular to get a relatively good view. Doing this the instrument is not longer at our correct IPD in normal use...Anyway, the Habicht 10x40 has a minimum focusing distance of about 4 meters...
And for all other uses, I love that more pronounced stereoscopic view! It clearly separates the different planes in the field, useful in many situations!

Best!

PHA

The ones having more Habichts or having experience with more configurations, which one has the most 3D view? 7x42, 8x30 or 10x40? Or isn't there any difference?
I am still undecided which one I want. I like 10 power, but the lightweight of the 8x30 is nice too. The focuser is stiff, so because of that the 7x42 or 8x30 would be nicer. I like birdwatching with it!

Having no Habicht itches me. The urge of buying one is sometimes killing me. I like the looks, I like the view, I don't like the focuser but that can hopefully be fixed partly.

But which one will it be? Which one will I actually use?

The ones having more Habichts or having experience with more configurations, which one has the most 3D view? 7x42, 8x30 or 10x40? Or isn't there any difference?
This is a good question, the 3-D affect is very subjective from one individual to another, some don’t even see it. What I find and some agree, is that the wider the separation of the barrels/prisms the more perception of the 3-D effect. Lower magnification may or may not have an effect, I’m not sure, but I will say with lower magnification it’s like a double whammy of 3-D and DOF.
I am still undecided which one I want. I like 10 power, but the lightweight of the 8x30 is nice too. The focuser is stiff, so because of that the 7x42 or 8x30 would be nicer. I like birdwatching with it!
To me the focuser is a non issue, if you don’t mind a slight inconvenience to send them in for tweaking. My 7x42 is butter smooth and substantially lighter than stock after the adjustment. The 7x probably is the one that needed the tweaking the least, because of the deep DOF, I’m going to be tweaking the 8 x 30 after the new year. If you don’t mind that inconvenience then just get the magnification you like the most.
Having no Habicht itches me. The urge of buying one is sometimes killing me. I like the looks, I like the view, I don't like the focuser but that can hopefully be fixed partly.
Same here, I had my eye on one of these for a few years , finally broke down and got the 7x42 first. It’s my dedicated low light and night bino. But be warned , it does have a very narrow FOV, more noticeable than any other 7x I’ve ever used. The 8x30 would be a more conventional type image. All of the leather wrapped are very elegantly built. The rubber version is more military, but they’re all nice.

Paul
But which one will it be? Which one will I actually use?

Attachments

• IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2421.jpeg
    IMG_2421.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
To me the focuser is a non issue, if you don’t mind a slight inconvenience to send them in for tweaking
I don't really mind. That will just take two months.
Won't that effect the water resistance of the binoculars? There is a reason for this tight focuser, otherwise they will sell the Habichts with a less stiff focuser in the first place...

the wider the separation of the barrels/prisms the more perception of the 3-D effect.
If that is true (and it makes sense) the 7x42 and 10x40 will have a more 3-D effect, because they are wider. But I think it will be subtle.

got the 7x42 first. It’s my dedicated low light and night bino.
For low light I have the SLC 8x42. I know the Habicht 7x42 will eat the 8x42 in low light, but I like the SLC 8x42 too much to let it gather dust.
I do not have a lightweight 8x30/32 yet, so I am leaning towards the Habicht 8x30 now. But tomorrow I am leaning towards the 10x40, because of the slightly larger exit pupil, the slightly larger eye relief (I have long eye lashes, my wife is actually jealous ;)) and I simply like 10 power more than 8 power.

What makes a porro special is its 3-D view, so the knowledge that one of the Habichts woulde have more 3D effect might pull me over the line...

Won't that effect the water resistance of the binoculars? There is a reason for this tight focuser, otherwise they will sell the Habichts with a less stiff focuser in the first place...

If that is true (and it makes sense) the 7x42 and 10x40 will have a more 3-D effect, because they are wider. But I think it will be subtle.

For low light I have the SLC 8x42. I know the Habicht 7x42 will eat the 8x42 in low light, but I like the SLC 8x42 too much to let it gather dust.
I do not have a lightweight 8x30/32 yet, so I am leaning towards the Habicht 8x30 now. But tomorrow I am leaning towards the 10x40, because of the slightly larger exit pupil, the slightly larger eye relief (I have long eye lashes, my wife is actually jealous ;)) and I simply like 10 power more than 8 power.

What makes a porro special is its 3-D view, so the knowledge that one of the Habichts woulde have more 3D effect might pull me over the line...
This is me all over.... I have the exact same questions.... I've been looking at Habichts for years.... never pulling the trigger.... and never knowing which one to go for if I did !!!.... I guess it's because I don't 'need' one... I love my BN's and my pocket Ultravids.

One day we will pull the trigger! :)
I have already dropped the idea of needing one for bird watching, because apparently they are not really suitable/perfect for it.
I think they are all nice for low light / landscapes / wildlife. The Habicht won't serve my first hobby: bird watching. It will serve my second hobby: binoculars. :)

This is me all over.... I have the exact same questions.... I've been looking at Habichts for years.... never pulling the trigger.... and never knowing which one to go for if I did !!!.... I guess it's because I don't 'need' one... I love my BN's and my pocket Ultravids.
As the late Tommy Cooper once said, 'I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite sure.' :D

The Habichts are sublime, the 7x42 is just fantastic in low light and I use mine for birdwatching too...the focus wheel is necessarily a tad on the stiff side but it doesn't bother me. It is smooth and the narrow FOV is the only minus point but for non-flight watching it is superb.

I have never thought of sending it in for focus tweeking but if I did I am sure that the water/dust resistant qualities would be the same after Swarovski had done their work.

The 8x30 is just a perfect landscape bino and is not too shabby whilst birdwatching either, but a recent bargain on EBay resulted in a CL Companion 8x30 winging its way to darkest Mid Wales. It is a lovely thing, more robust that the Habicht and it handles flare better.

But it is a (relatively) clinical tool to use whereas the Habichts are the epitome of classic design, optical excellence and gorgeousness. Did I mention that I love 'em?

Last edited:
I was assured by Swaro they will maintain water proofing. Maybe Swarovski is trying to maintain the same submersible level throughout the lineup. I’m not sure it matters to me if my binoculars can stay submerged in five feet of water for thirty minutes or four feet of water for twenty minutes.

I think for many dedicated birders the water proofing is a pre-requisite for their optics, and I like the feature myself but it’s not a necessity if you have multiple binoculars. The majority of my observing is within a half mile of my car , and when it starts raining I’m generally done for the day. On the fewer occasions when I will be out for the day, deep woods, long hikes mountain trails, and I want a fully robust waterproof bino. Like you said , birding is just one hobby and binoculars are another.
I can agree with that. I will tell you there is substantially more 3-D effect in my vintage 7x35 than the 7x42 Habicht or my 10x42 SE.
I think any top of the line Swaro and Zeiss in 8x42 is a good low light optic. A killer low light 8x42 is the Vortex UHD.
The easy solution to the indecision is buy the 8x30 today and tomorrow buy the 10x40. Conundrum solved, you’re welcome. 😉
What makes a porro special is its 3-D view, so the knowledge that one of the Habichts woulde have more 3D effect might pull me over the line... it’s gonna
I really don’t think it will make that much of a difference, the genre (porro) will give you the effect your looking for , to some degree based on your sensitivity and awareness to the effect. I’ve had all three of these together, and it’s too subtle to notice the differences unless they’re side by side comparisons.

I wanted to ad if your just looking for the best 3-D effect , get one of the high quality (yesteryear alphas) vintage 7x35. The effect is immediately noticeable.

Paul

Last edited:
But tomorrow I am leaning towards the 10x40, because of the slightly larger exit pupil, the slightly larger eye relief (I have long eye lashes, my wife is actually jealous ;)) and I simply like 10 power more than 8 power.

If you prefer 10x, you should get the 10x40 without regrets. I have all three Habichts (7, 8, and 10,) and I think the 10x is the best of them, generally speaking.

I birded exclusively with the 8x for several years, and it's just fine for that purpose or any other. I can tell you that since your eyelashes are long, you will probably smudge the eyelens, as the eye relief is tight.

I put off getting the 7x for years because of the infamously small FOV, but it is now my favorite of the three. It is very clear and very light- perfect for wearing around my neck while traipsing through a shady swamp with my canoe in tow.

Last edited:
ReinierB, different posts,
If you are looking for something special: look for the Swarovski Habicht of the Swedish marines covered with a very strong navy blue material. excellent optical quality, undestructable, difficult to find and excellent optics.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back