• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht for birdwatching? (2 Viewers)

You and your Habicht thread are the reasons behind my decision to try one 😂 I followed the thread and saw the photo of your new purchase. The leatherette 8x30 is beautiful. Then I found a 0% installment option for Swaros in a German shop. Wanted to try the My Junior but went for the adult version of x7 bins that Swarovski offers. Unfortunately, in the past, Habicht 10x40 didn’t work for me however I am still regretting about my decision to sell it. So it was ruled out for now. Habicht 7x42 was also in my long list of binos because I needed to have one for low light conditions. This is the leatherette version because GA version of 10x40 was a bit too chunky for me (even though I really like in some ways). I would like to try 8x30 as well however there are no options around me to go and try. Only way to try is buying one.

I am sorry for deviating the topic a bit. However, it seems my eyes like the FOV around 110-140 m /1000 m range with conventional field.
So let's proceed the Habicht discussion in this thread. 🙂

What do you mean with this 0% installment option for Swaros?
So you did actually look through the 7x42?
What about this very small afov? Do the eyecups work for you? Is it really brighter than your NL 8x42? Tell me all about your experiences and I will tell mine 😉.

So let's proceed the Habicht discussion in this thread. 🙂

What do you mean with this 0% installment option for Swaros?
So you did actually look through the 7x42?
What about this very small afov? Do the eyecups work for you? Is it really brighter than your NL 8x42? Tell me all about your experiences and I will tell mine 😉.
That’s great 😁

Time to time optics shops offers installment payments with PayPal with 0% interest. So I noticed one for My Junior and then saw it is for all Swarovski products. It was early in the morning and I just showed it to my wife. She just said why don’t you buy it, if you can pay in installments. Then I showed her STC but she said it is too expensive for now. After thinking to make the decision between Habicht 10x40 and 7x42 for a few hours I decided to order the 7x42 as I don’t have one for low light situations. (I really like to have a SLC 56 either in x8 or x10 but afraid of the weight). That was the story behind my order.

Still I didn’t receive it however expecting to get it within a few days. After that I will compare it with NL 8x42 and let you know. Hopefully it will work for my face because it has a bit more eye relief compared to the 10x40. I also like the appearance of it as I have a very old Habicht 10x40 (with yellow cast and a faulty diopter) which is similar to the one I ordered.

Fits perfect!
Unfortunately, I didn’t think something like that before selling Habicht 10x40. It would have worked for me if it had a bit more eye relief. Now I kind of miss it and regret about the decision I made. But that time my finances were worse and wanted to sell it to get some money in the hand 😊

That’s great 😁

Time to time optics shops offers installment payments with PayPal with 0% interest. So I noticed one for My Junior and then saw it is for all Swarovski products. It was early in the morning and I just showed it to my wife. She just said why don’t you buy it, if you can pay in installments. Then I showed her STC but she said it is too expensive for now. After thinking to make the decision between Habicht 10x40 and 7x42 for a few hours I decided to order the 7x42 as I don’t have one for low light situations. (I really like to have a SLC 56 either in x8 or x10 but afraid of the weight). That was the story behind my order.

Still I didn’t receive it however expecting to get it within a few days. After that I will compare it with NL 8x42 and let you know. Hopefully it will work for my face because it has a bit more eye relief compared to the 10x40. I also like the appearance of it as I have a very old Habicht 10x40 (with yellow cast and a faulty diopter) which is similar to the one I ordered.
Here my take on Habicht 7x42:
I sat and thought, what do I like so much about this new Habicht 7x42? ...Precisely these poor quality specifications and the simplicity of the mechanical and optical construction seem to reduce these binoculars to a kind of essence. These essences paradoxically attract me because, by antithesis, this seem to emphasize even more the clarity and fantastic transmission of these beautiful binoculars.
View attachment 1502294
It's about the simple things that are refined to the extreme.
View attachment 1502295
It is about modern optical performance in the shirt of tradition.
View attachment 1502296
The new Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro is a classic still alive! I like that these binoculars are manufactured in small quantities only when there are many requests. I waited about two months for the production to be finished. These are no ordinary stock binoculars
And here:
As I use this Habicht 7x42, I definitely realize the following aspect even better: I like its aparent visual field of view exactly as it is, small and narrow! It is a purely aesthetic pleasure! It's the binoculars with the biggest personality I've met by far! It is a binocular that requires a lot of understanding to begin with, and it is very easy to abandon it because of the weak specifications. But after you use it without prejudgment related to AFOV, it turns into magic with time.
This narrow AFOV, which everyone spits out (including me), is illuminated by an extraordinarily clear image that floats in a totally black space, creating a unique and powerful aesthetic impression.
This aesthetic impression paradoxically, if the AFOV had been increased, would disappear!
This paradoxically experience clearly confirmed to me, once again, that a pair of binoculars cannot be characterized only by some numbers (even carefully and objective placed in tables), but also through strongly subjective impressions, but honest! The complexity of reality, even of a simple pair of binoculars, cannot be reduced only to numbers, it also has other values that escape the measuring devices, but not to our perception!

Would you recommend Habicht over Swarovski and Nikon?

Lisa
The short answer is I do not recommend a Habicht over other Swarovski roofs or Nikon roofs if it is going to be your only binoculars. As @dorubird mentioned in his review especially Habicht 7x42 has a strong personality and it is not for everyone. However, Habicht 8x30 or 10x40 can be your only binoculars if they suit your facial structure and your personal preferences.

The short answer is I do not recommend a Habicht over other Swarovski roofs or Nikon roofs if it is going to be your only binoculars. As @dorubird mentioned in his review especially Habicht 7x42 has a strong personality and it is not for everyone. However, Habicht 8x30 or 10x40 can be your only binoculars if they suit your facial structure and your personal preferences.
Nice summary. Two caveats though: For general birding in different habitats no Habicht is ideal because of the slow and stiff focuser. And I personally don't like the 8x30 because of the problems with veiling glare. The 7x42 is much better in that respect, and the 10x40 is better.

BTW, anyone getting a Habicht in the leatherette version should get hold of an additional set of the green eyecups from the rubber-armoured version. They work better for many people.

Hermann

Nice summary. Two caveats though: For general birding in different habitats no Habicht is ideal because of the slow and stiff focuser. And I personally don't like the 8x30 because of the problems with veiling glare. The 7x42 is much better in that respect, and the 10x40 is better.

BTW, anyone getting a Habicht in the leatherette version should get hold of an additional set of the green eyecups from the rubber-armoured version. They work better for many people.

Hermann
What sort of price ranges are the Habicht 7x42? Should I look at these or should I stick with going for a Nikon prostaff?

What sort of price ranges are the Habicht 7x42? Should I look at these or should I stick with going for a Nikon prostaff?
No idea about the prices in the UK. Check orniwelt.de for prices in Germany.

The Habicht 7x42 is an acquired taste, it really is. I wrote a review on the 7x42 way back in 2014: And now for something completely different: The Habicht 7x42 Have a look there.

If you want a binocular for general birding in all sorts of habitats I'd probably go for a roof from a reputable manufacturer. Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski CL for instance.

Hermann

No idea about the prices in the UK. Check orniwelt.de for prices in Germany.

The Habicht 7x42 is an acquired taste, it really is. I wrote a review on the 7x42 way back in 2014: And now for something completely different: The Habicht 7x42 Have a look there.

If you want a binocular for general birding in all sorts of habitats I'd probably go for a roof from a reputable manufacturer. Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski CL for instance.

Hermann
All the Swarovski binoculars are really really expensive. I am looking to get a cheaper pair, maybe even second hand. Nikon seem to have good reviews but are also within budget. Would you recommend a Nikon? Or should I look at Zeiss Conquest instead?

All the Swarovski binoculars are really really expensive. I am looking to get a cheaper pair, maybe even second hand. Nikon seem to have good reviews but are also within budget. Would you recommend a Nikon? Or should I look at Zeiss Conquest instead?

Yes the European made binoculars tend to be expensive. The Habichts are extremely good value for their performance, but they're still expensive and are probably not what I'd recommend to someone not familiar with binoculars and there different quirks. Nikon produce a wide range of binoculars from cheap and cheerful to mid-high end. It all depends on budget. If you're on a tighter budget there are a wide range of different options - Opticron are generally very good value, and for the price some Hawke models perform well. Second hand from a reputable seller can be a good option. You need to think about what your budget is, whether you're purchasing for the long term or just something that will do you until you can afford something better, how much you'll use them, what and where you'll be using them (compromising optical performance for a small pair that will always be carried might be a consideration). If you can answer those questions people can help draw up a shortlist of recommendations, but the important thing is to try them - what suits one person won't suit everyone.

Since you have a little experience about binoculars, my experience might help you on deciding a good pair of binoculars as your first purchase.

I have experience with a few binoculars with prices ranging from 25-2500 euros. (Of course most of the BF members have experience with a lot more binoculars than me). The best thing to note is that I can and I did use every binoculars with more or less same excitement because all of them are having different personalities. I strongly believe using any pair of binoculars add significant advantage on the identification of birds.

In general expensive binoculars have less optical and mechanical problems. However it doesn’t mean less expensive binoculars are not usable for bird watching and identification. As an example my celestron outlander 8x32 binoculars were bought for approximately 30 euros. They are having very short eye relief making them less comfortable to use as well as a yellow color cast. However I still use it time to time. Having said that, 300-400 price range would give you a very good pair of binoculars that can be used for many years. At that price range Nikon M7 or GPO passion ED binoculars are some of nice choices to consider. However, you are willing to spend 100-200, Nikon prostaff, Vortex Diamondback, and Kowa yfii 8x30 will give you a good performance for the price.

Conquest HD are definitely better than prostaff specially in build quality. However they are much more expensive. Nikon HG binoculars are in the same price category as Conquest HD. However, I believe Prostaff would provide you with good optical performance for the price with less robust mechanical performance.

One more thing to consider in this price range is the magnification. I would recommend you to buy 8x power binoculars in this price range (even with higher prices, 8x binoculars are suitable for most of the bird watching applications).

I wish you good luck with finding the best suited optics in the budget you have. You are feel free to ask any question which might support for your decision making process.

Thank you @Richard D and @Viraj for your feedback.

I am looking at a budget of around £100. I am happy to go for something second hand or used. My neighbour has some more expensive ones that are good but as I'm not a frequent user yet I don't want to risk breaking his or buying something expensive I won't use.

I am a beginner so anything too techy will just be lost on me. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me choose.

I am looking at a budget of around £100. I am happy to go for something second hand or used. My neighbour has some more expensive ones that are good but as I'm not a frequent user yet I don't want to risk breaking his or buying something expensive I won't use.
Around £100 ... That's a difficult price range. I'd definitely get a porro. Roofs in that price range are usually junk. Look at Opticron. But I don't know the Opticrons all that well, maybe someone else can chime in here. Another that comes to mind is the Nikon Action EX range, e.g. the 8x40: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Action-EX-8x40-Binocular/dp/B0001HKIJK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=UXFR88RZEKX5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4b6N4ovHAVwLQFUGTn6tfbcfSWqCUZFYf7i8ZhgjfP__E7RsgPYLbndfsgl9kKIYTWfauwXRlUGWCN86fvoIQA.WlEeogQCM6ZE2-rB24UiF-GKl2ZbRNYS-hzK-jFnc_c&dib_tag=se&keywords=nikon+action+ex+8+x+40&qid=1710679647&sprefix=nikon+action+ex,aps,135&sr=8-1&th=1. Fairly heavy for an 8x40 but a pretty well-rounded binocular, albeit at a somewhat higher price. Check Canip's brief review: Nikon Action EX 8×40 CF – Binoculars Today.

Hermann

Last edited:

I am a beginner so anything too techy will just be lost on me. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me choose.
There are numerous good quality bino's around the £100 mark and if you are able, try and visit a shop to try a selection for yourself. I see you hail from Gloucester, Clifton Camera's in Dursley are excellent and would offer you sound advice without any pressure.

If you cannot travel then any retailer with a fair returns policy is your best bet and if you are able to use Amazon then they do have several makes and maginification sizes to keep you within your budget.

You would be best to look at established names on Amazon rather than the obscure manufacturers and were I looking I would keep to Nikon, Hawke, Opticron and SVBony to name but a few. And the reason is purely that all offer a warranty should things go wrong.

All of the bino's in your price range will be Made in China, (or in the Far East), and for example there are SvBony 8x32 bino's on Amazon which, with a 10% coupon, come out under your budget at £93.49.

A very respected poster on this site, Neil English who goes under the name @Dipperdapper, did a review of the SVBony 8x32's and 8x is a very good magnification for mixed usage and by default, lighter and more compact:

At the price Amazon are selling them, and with a comprehensive returns policy if they do not suit, this is where I would be spending my £100 were I in the market.

Good luck!

Last edited:

We're going off topic here, but if you can stretch to £135 - these Kowa are very popular at the budget end and a good price: KOWA 8X30 YFII Porro Prism Binoculars | Viking Optical Centres

So... is an Habicht suitable for bird watching?

I actually think the Habicht 8x30 is! But still hoping the focuser will get a bit less stiff in the future.
No problems with the eyecups anymore. Glare doesn't bother me still.
I will answer this question in a couple of months again...

So... is an Habicht suitable for bird watching?

I actually think the Habicht 8x30 is! But still hoping the focuser will get a bit less stiff in the future.
No problems with the eyecups anymore. Glare doesn't bother me still.
I will answer this question in a couple of months again...

I'll look forward to your answer in a couple of months, but my view owning the 10x40 is yes, but the focuser stiffness makes it less than ideal in terrain where you're regularly significantly changing focus distance - great over open countryside, fine along hedgerows, but when you've got a constantly changing mix of the two it's perfectly usable but not ideal.

I'll look forward to your answer in a couple of months, but my view owning the 10x40 is yes, but the focuser stiffness makes it less than ideal in terrain where you're regularly significantly changing focus distance - great over open countryside, fine along hedgerows, but when you've got a constantly changing mix of the two it's perfectly usable but not ideal.
I had the same experience with the Habicht 10x40 that I had. However, I used it even in forest areas without having any major problems. Of course, my pointing finger got some pain over time of use. When I shifted to using NL I felt a major difference in focusing comfort. The focus stiffness of Habichts did not change over the few months I used it.

However, Habicht is a different instrument and I have a different kind of love for it. Recently I started to miss it so much and couldn't resist ordering one. So, finally, I did it in the morning. Hope it will complement my SFL 10x40 in certain habitats. Now I am waiting for the arrival of two Habichts in two different configurations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back