• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull SE Pennsylvania Dec. 2015 (1 Viewer)

jmercer

I took this picture (not very good) of a brown gull flying with three adult Ring-bill Gulls. I thought is was a Herring Gull by coloration, but it did not seem to be larger than the other gulls. Looking at the picture, it seems too dark for Ring-bill and too light for Herring. Juvenile gulls are a struggle because they have so many possible combinations, so I thought I would see if anyone has a thought on this bird. I am attaching the juvenile and a picture of an adult Ring-bill taken when they were about the same location in the sky for size reference.
Thanks,

Attachments

• Gull_5910.jpg
    Gull_5910.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Ring-billed Gull_5911.jpg
    Ring-billed Gull_5911.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 74
No, near West Chester, I just wanted to be sure it was not some exotic that snuck in somehow. The closest I could find in the book was Mews, but what are the odds, they are a western bird, so it is either an unidentified or I can be convinced it is a Herring, it just looks too light and too small for Herring

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back