• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Poole , Dorset, England 16/03/22 (1 Viewer)

pooleparrot

Ian Ballam
Hi , still trying to find a Caspian Gull at my local patch. We had this bird this morning which had some positive features. Photos not great at distance and in heavy rain. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 53153Casp.JPG
    53153Casp.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 53154Casp.JPG
    53154Casp.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 53155Casp.JPG
    53155Casp.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 53156Casp.JPG
    53156Casp.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 53157Casp.JPG
    53157Casp.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 53158Casp.JPG
    53158Casp.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 33
Hello,
not a confident answer, but my thoughts when looking at the pictures:
  • hey, quite clean, bright, pink legs
  • looking at that small, clean white head with a smudgy pattern on the hindneck and the thin bill, I can see, why Ian thought of a Caspian Gull
  • I think I can detect the washed pattern of the greater coverts with a pale edge, resulting in the two-barred pattern of a Caspian Gull
  • is the tail-base largely white ? Yes, I was just reminded not squeeze too much out of bad pictures. Thanks to Aeshna and Edward again!
  • is the pattern on the scapulars banded or are there small diamond shaped dark centers in them? Yes, I was just reminded not squeeze too much out of bad pictures. Thanks to Aeshna and Edward again! But it reminded me of Caspian x HG here.
  • in picture 5 bird looks ok for a YLG
Conclusion: I think, the bird looks good for a Caspian X Herring Gull hybrid or a Caspian Gull and I hope for more comments. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back