• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull - Eastern Cape, South Africa (1 Viewer)

Trevor Hardaker

This gull was photographed at Cape Recife in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa a couple of days ago – I did not personally see it, so can’t offer any additional information on the bird.

It is obviously not a Kelp Gull which would be the expected large gull in the area, so now we have to consider the other possible vagrants. I have considered Baltic Gull, but I don’t really have loads of experience with them at this age and, therefore, am not sure that I can personally rule out other contenders.

Could those of you with more experience of these larger gulls please let me have your thoughts on this bird please?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Trevor

Attachments

• 177 2.jpg
    177 2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 184 2.jpg
    184 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 187 2.jpg
    187 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 193 2.jpg
    193 2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 194 2.jpg
    194 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 53
Wow, interesting thoughts Lou! I look forward to seeing your further comments on this bird...

I had felt, on shape, that it was not quite right for Baltic Gull (wings don't seem long enough for one), but I didn't really consider a runt Kelp Gull as an option. I can’t say that I’ve ever actually seen one locally as white as this with pink legs as well.

Thanks again!
Trevor

hi trevor, i'm back. this gull is a 2nd cycle bird, so it's a bit more than 1 year old. thus it has not the yellowish legs of older birds. the bill is slim and long, not what we are used to see in kelp gull, but also not in line with the smaller bill of baltic gull. the latter can be excluded by structure - it is longer winged, much smaller, smaller headed and shorter legged. this is how a superficially similar (typical) 2cy baltic gull looks like: http://www.israel.gull-research.org/fuscus2cy/2cyapr20.html
in your bird i can't explain the 1st generation looking primaries, though. they should be freshly renewed by now. maybe they are but to me they look a bit worn and pointed at tip. got to learn more about kelp gull myself...

in your bird i can't explain the 1st generation looking primaries, though. they should be freshly renewed by now. maybe they are but to me they look a bit worn and pointed at tip. got to learn more about kelp gull myself...

Lou,
It's with some trepidation that I offer the suggestion that gulls not in the best condition sometimes have deferred moult or part-moult....
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back