• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2022 (1 Viewer)

Just wondering if anyone has any decent Black Grouse sites within striking distance of Flamborough?

Also we’ve been told the holiday cottage owner in St Just has had family issues so have had to withdraw the property. Looks like we’re staying in Mousehole now instead. Looks like a nice place but I just hope it isn’t full of the jumpers round shoulders types.

Rich

So I picked up Kev at 05:00 on Friday and set off. Met up with Bev and Paul at the services on the M5 and set the sat-nav for Idle Valley Nature Reserve.

On arrival at the visitor centre BirdGuides said we were still an 11 minute drive from where we needed to be. Back in the car and off we went. Very impressed with Idle Valley and will have to drop back in at some point. We quickly got on to our target bird which was a Pectoral Sandpiper in amongst the Ruff. A Great White Egret was also present.

The sat-nav was now set for a nearby town with a decently rated cafe. Was a bit surprised to pick up a handful of Grey Partridges on the way out of the reserve. Anyway, the pancakes were decent and we were soon heading our way up to Spurn.

At Spurn Bev and Cotch had a quick walk before heading off for the cottage. Judging by their messages The Royal Dog and Duck in Flamborough clearly found favour with them. And only 2 doors down from the cottage😂

We headed to the Canal Scrape. A Temnick’s Stint showed itself beautifully which was a lifer for me.

Next it was off to Kilnsea Wetlands. Good numbers of birds in front of the hide including Blackwits, an Avocet, Pintails, and in amongst a couples of hundred BH Gulls were a few Mediterranean Gulls.

Next we headed to the cottage via Hornsea. Dipped on a Red-backed Shrike that had been reported so arrived at about 18:30. A quick pint of Timothy Taylor in the Dog and Duck and we were tired out. Got talking to a lovely couple with a stunning young Cocker Spaniel who recommended the chippy just up the road and they weren’t wrong. Can honestly say I think they were the nicest chips I’ve had. Cooked in beef dripping and delicious.

Back to the cottage we watched Twin Town with a glass of wine and crashed out. The cottage is a belter and I’ll put a link to it at some stage.

Rich

Attachments

• 68D3E1A6-BAF0-45C5-AF88-D3E6B49ACAF1.jpeg
    68D3E1A6-BAF0-45C5-AF88-D3E6B49ACAF1.jpeg
    653.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 52D3DEB8-7D28-4639-9FD2-03F166E13065.jpeg
    52D3DEB8-7D28-4639-9FD2-03F166E13065.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
So yesterday we had a bit of a lie in and arrived at Flamborough Head for 08:00. Stupidly didn’t realise the hide was for members only so stood up on the head. Pretty quiet tbh. Best we could manage were a dozen plus of Red-throated Divers, Fulmar, Gannets, Kittiwakes Rock(ish) Doves and a stunning 4 month old Vizsla bitch. Also picked up a parking ticket as when we got the scopes out of the boot the wind must have turned our ticket on the dash. I’ll lodge an appeal when I get home.

Still on day 2 some good birds seemed to be turning up at Spurn so off we went again.

On arrival we spent about 45 minutes staring at a bush trying, and failing to locate our target bird. Time for a coffee and a cake at the visitor centre cafe. Can recommend the flat white and lemon drizzle cake.

Next it was up along the canal path and again failed to connect with our target birds. Did see @Owene across the other birders so a quick phone call later and we caught up with Owen back by the visitor centre. Always enjoyable to go birding with Mr E. Anyway we dipped again on our target bird so headed back up along the canal path and got very lucky when all the birders were looking in our direction. A Barred Warbler was in the bush before taking off and flying right past us. A lifer for all three of us. This deserved a cake to celebrate so it was back to the cafe.

This time I can recommend the Yorkshire curd tart. Very interesting. Leaving the cafe just along the path to the canal path a small group of birders had gathered and sure enough they were on the bird we all really wanted. And absolute belter of a Red-breasted Flycatcher. Gave absolutely amazing views down to a few metres. Buzzing from this - and congrats to Owen on his 300th species - we headed back along the canal path. About 150 metres from the pub we were treated to point blank views of a stunning Wryneck. Chuffed with this as it’s been at least 3 years since I’ve caught up with one. Next we headed into the church yard before walking out to Sammys Point. Should have added there was an amazing summer plumaged Grey Plover out on the estuary earlier. Dipped on the Y-B Warblers but had good views of a Spotted Flycatcher and decent sized flocks of Golden Plover flew overhead. Time to head to the pub for a celebratory pint.

Had a quick look for a Snow Bunting but failed to locate it. Had a quick chat with a birder I’d recognised from Ham Wall. He’s on 298 for the year so fingers crossed for the 300. We were then all pretty tired fi decided to call it a day. An absolutely brilliant days birding with great company.

Back at the cottage we watched The Boys with a glass of red before crashing out.

Rich

Attachments

• 35F33968-EF20-4803-A17F-546086AD559A.jpeg
    35F33968-EF20-4803-A17F-546086AD559A.jpeg
    820.6 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for a great day, really enjoyed it and we racked up a few miles. As soon as we left there was a short eared owl at Kilnsea which I half wondered if you two had hung around for

Lots of pink feet over the m18 on my way home so I’m sure you’ll see some of those soon as well

Quieter day yesterday. Headed up to the moors in the morning as Bev hadn’t been there. Quiet bird wise other than heaps of Red Grouse and a nice view of a Stoat.

Stopped at a farm shop on the way back and had a very decent pork, sage and caramelised onion sausage roll.

Back at the cottage we decided to walk to South Landing and then round to North Landing taking in Thornwick Pools on the way back. Stopped off at the lighthouse which was half way and can recommend the Fisherman’s Reward Pale Ale.

Again quite quiet bird wise. Best we could manage was Kestrels, Tree Sparrows, Pink-footed Geese and 3 Red-throated divers. Also managed 3 Bottlenosed Dolphins.

Back to the cottage to settle down to watch Trollhunter with a chicken kebab.

Rich

So yesterday we had a bit of a lie in and arrived at Flamborough Head for 08:00. Stupidly didn’t realise the hide was for members only so stood up on the head. Pretty quiet tbh. Best we could manage were a dozen plus of Red-throated Divers, Fulmar, Gannets, Kittiwakes Rock(ish) Doves and a stunning 4 month old Vizsla bitch. Also picked up a parking ticket as when we got the scopes out of the boot the wind must have turned our ticket on the dash. I’ll lodge an appeal when I get home.
The seawatching spot when I was there a few years ago was halfway down the cliff under the Foghorn, hairy to get there!! Seems a shame the hide isn't for everyone!

On our last full day we headed for a walk down to South Landing. Thought I had a brief glimpse of a Yellow-Browed Warbler but not certain. A few ChiffChaffs were around along with Goldcrests. Out on the sea were 3 RTD’s. Off to the cafe by the lighthouse for lunch and the weather really turned. Did the sensible thing and headed to the pub.

Really enjoyed Flamborough as it had something for all of the group. Will definitely head back.

Planned to come home via Oxfordshire but the Nighthawk did a bunk. Ahh well. Was just being greedy.

Stroll on October half term.

Rich

Attachments

• BA804193-150C-4EF2-9788-7400517FD43D.jpeg
    BA804193-150C-4EF2-9788-7400517FD43D.jpeg
    786.7 KB · Views: 4
Here’s a link to the cottage where we stayed:

So we arrived in Cornwall yesterday. Uneventful drive down. Stopped off at RSPB Aylesbeare for the boy to stretch his legs but quiet bird wise. Thanks to Owen for identifying a beetle for me - Minotaur beetle.

The cottage is stunning. Situated in Mousehole. Somewhere we haven’t been before.

Had some very good fish and chips in the evening from Newlyn. Always nice to see such tame Turnstones as well.

Attachments

• 023DA4F2-B273-47CC-8FB6-60A844DBFDBA.jpeg
    023DA4F2-B273-47CC-8FB6-60A844DBFDBA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • E3F1D9C6-DEEF-4C17-8EF5-10F5FDA360E2.jpeg
    E3F1D9C6-DEEF-4C17-8EF5-10F5FDA360E2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 4BEC2BBE-8DA9-405D-8C4A-565A1D3656D2.jpeg
    4BEC2BBE-8DA9-405D-8C4A-565A1D3656D2.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 9
This morning I took the boy for a wander around the harbour. Plenty of Rock Pipits and Pied Wagtails around along with a Seal.

Back in the cottage I scanned the sea and was very surprised to pick up an Otter not far off shore. Something that was not even in my radar. Not sure if the boy could hear it but he something had got his attention. Other than that it was Gannets, Shags, GBBG’s and the occasional Guillemot.

Next it was over to St Just to a Butchers that Barry on Twitter had recommended- Mcfaddens. I’ve got to say the Cornish pastie was superb. And the boys enjoyed the sausage rolls. Also picked up a steak pie for tea and some bacon, steaks and sausages.

From here it was off to Porthgwarra. Just wanted to acquaint myself with the area tbh as I might have a go at staring at the sea for a few hours at some stage this week. Wandered around the headland and picked out where the birders were. Seem to quite a few Shearwaters around at the moment.

Attachments

• 9E7F8E5C-2256-4DD5-BEAC-6724C3818594.jpeg
    9E7F8E5C-2256-4DD5-BEAC-6724C3818594.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 4
Went in to Penzance for a few things yesterday afternoon. Stopped off at Jubilee Pool on the way back.

Picked up an odd (to me) looking gull. Many thanks for everyone’s comments. Posted on Twitter and with a WhatsApp mate. Pretty much even split tbh so I’ll put it down as a possible Sabs and leave it there. Again, the feedback was much appreciated. Gulls are a steep learning curve for me.

Whilst trying to get a better view of the Gull I did manage to pick out a Kingfisher and 4 Purple Sandpipers on the same rocks. Then it was back to the cottage for the steak pie from the butchers - delicious.

Quiet day today. Watched the Otter again this morning with my youngest. Nice to see 2 Grey Seals close in as well.

This afternoon we headed to Kennack Sands but dipped on Pallas’s Warbler and YBW. Appears that I dipped in good company - Dick Filby.

Back to the cottage for a roast dinner 😋

Attachments

• 1A2386A1-2CAA-4732-8C76-E362A9C0F42E.jpeg
    1A2386A1-2CAA-4732-8C76-E362A9C0F42E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
Slow day today. Tried to book Scillonian but was told I’d only have and hour on the island and the weather forecast was very grim. Gave it a miss.

Headed over to the Cot valley stopping at McFaddens on the way. The Cornish pasties really are delicious. Managed to get to the top of the Cot valley which was a pain (literally) as my sciatica is playing up. Very little to show for it. Kestrel being the best bird.

Early night I think with some pain killers.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back