• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Thur 7th Aug.....

A pleasant 12-2 ramble around the pits unfortunately bereft of waders apart from Lapwing followed by a B :) and a cob at the Camp PH.

Waggon Wheel pits held about 60 large gulls and a brood of Tufties. The Gulls consisted mainly of LBB's, mostly juvs and a handful of juv Herring. In amongst the LBB's was a White-Headed juv an enlarged image is attached.

The old workings, apart from duck, (2 more broods of Tufties) swans and cormorants held a minimum of 8 Little Egrets with possibly another having flown off. The most i, personally have seen anywhere in the Midlands and to think i went down to Cornwall to twitch one in the early-80's:eek!: How times change. Sand Martin, Swallow and House Martin in small numbers. A pair of Ravens were also noted and a 'clattering' unarmed Apache attack helicopter was a nice sight.

The building 'plot' now shows sign of activity. There must have been permission for a dwelling prior to the ground being returned to the local parish? I read somewhere that it had boating access to the wetlands, whether this is true or not? There is also a new section of gravelled path, is there some sort of soakaway under it? I saw a little mini-digger making its way down to the area ystda.

Below - Gull (right hand end in front of an adult LBB), Apache, Mansion and some dubious water mammals;)

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• Gulls@Grimmers.jpg
    [email protected]
    139.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Apache.jpg
    Apache.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Mansion.jpg
    Mansion.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 66
  • Water Rats.jpg
    Water Rats.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 51
There was a slight sense of déjà vu as I quickly scanned the north pit at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits this evening. The second drake Common Scoter in less than two weeks was amongst the throng of Tufted Ducks, but this time it was an adult drake unlike the earlier bird which was a first-summer drake. Also present was an eclipse drake Mandarin and a Common Sandpiper. At Camp Lane Pits at least 7 Little Egrets remain along with a Common Sandpiper.

A short video clip of the scoter here.

Brian

Attachments

• Common_Scoter_Grimley_08.08.14_1_BRS.jpg
    Common_Scoter_Grimley_08.08.14_1_BRS.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 57
Ah - but do birders go dogging in Sedgley?

They are mine, there are plenty of Staffies about.

Re: the Scoter Brian, i did'nt see one in with the Tufties but it does'nt mean it was'nt there i suppose:C

Hi Laurie,

I guess the scoter arrived sometime yesterday morning as it was very murky in the Worcester area first thing, ideal for bringing down overland migrants and no doubt that's what brought the Sandwich Terns in to Westwood.

Just shows how under watched Grimley is, particularly Wagon Wheel Lane Pits when a scoter can be sat on the water for presumably most of the day without being detected. No surprise that it was gone this morning as all the Grimley birds have stayed for just the day.

Little Egrets at Camp Lane Pits continue to increase with 11 present this morning; just one more needed for a new site record (and probably county record).

Brian

The new record count of Little Egrets at Camp Lane Pits came sooner than thought with 12 present early afternoon. An adult Ringed Plover was new in along with 3 juvenile LRPs, Green Sand, Common Sand and 2 Redstarts.

A juvenile Wheatear and a couple of Wigeon at CLP today were the first returning birds of the autumn.

Brian

Last edited:
Friday 15th August:

A Whinchat was present along the causeway at the north end of Camp Lane Pits and later flew across to the fence line on the NE side.

Attachments

• Whinchat - 15th August 2014.jpg
    Whinchat - 15th August 2014.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 78
Grimley was packed with migrants today. The main highlight was the continued presence of the juvenile Spotted Redshank at Camp Lane Pits which showed well to all, birders, photographers, dog walkers etc, sometimes down to 12 feet! Other waders included a juvenile Greenshank, juvenile Dunlin, adult Ringed Plover, adult LRP, Green Sandpiper, Snipe and Lapwings. The number of Little Egrets has now reached 15, while a juvenile Whinchat showed early morning before moving on and a Yellow Wagtail flew over. Ten Redstarts remain along the River Severn between Wagon Wheel Lane and Lock Lane where a juvenile Spotted Flycatcher and calling Tree Pipit were also seen. An eclipse drake Mandarin was at Wagon Wheel Lane marsh and a juvenile Yellow-legged Gull was at Wagon Wheel Lane Pits briefly.

Pics below of the Spotted Redshank and Greenshank together with a video clip of the former here. Also a record shot of the Yellow-legged Gull (left hand bird).

Brian

Attachments

• Spotted_Redshank_Grimley_18.08.14_BF.jpg
    Spotted_Redshank_Grimley_18.08.14_BF.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Greenshank_Grimley_18.08.14_BRS.jpg
    Greenshank_Grimley_18.08.14_BRS.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Yellow_legged_Gull_Grimley_18.08.14_BRS.jpg
    Yellow_legged_Gull_Grimley_18.08.14_BRS.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
great morning until it rained. The obvious highlight was the spotted redshank. I could not believe how close you could get.
On my walk around I counted 10 egrets which is a record for me there.
the real disappointment was just as I was leaving at the camp lane pits near the gate next to the pub I saw 2 massive dogs (off leads) charge after a group of young moorhens, the owners doing nothing to stop them!!!

The pits are, mercifully, free of signage but for those lacking even the slightest modicum of common sense perhaps one or two 'keep dogs under control' type signs might be required.

Needless to say mine always are.

The Spotted Redshank remains at CLP this morning. Yesterday evening it was performing incredibly well, down to 6 feet at times providing definitive views.

Also a Med Gull dropped in for a short while yesterday evening before heading off east with c20 Black-headed Gulls.

Brian

Attachments

• Med_Gull_Grimley_19.08.14_BRS_1.jpg
    Med_Gull_Grimley_19.08.14_BRS_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 68
The Spotted Redshank remains at CLP this morning. Yesterday evening it was performing incredibly well, down to 6 feet at times providing definitive views.

Also a Med Gull dropped in for a short while yesterday evening before heading off east with c20 Black-headed Gulls.

Brian

Grimley is on a great run of form at the minute :t:

The Med looks to be a different bird (more advanced) than either of these that have regularly visited Upton in the last ten days

Agreed, a good run - the Med luks like it's being scrutinised by 'Da management' for those that remember Hale and Pace;)

Sunday looks a good day to pop in.

ATB Laurie:t:

Agreed, a good run - the Med luks like it's being scrutinised by 'Da management' for those that remember Hale and Pace;)

Sunday looks a good day to pop in.

Norman - Ron, if he ain't a juvenile he ain't comin' in
Gareth - Ron, don't ya mean first calender year?

BTW Monday looks the most interesting day with SE winds (at least in the morning) and rain, although I suspect those winds havent come from far

Attachments

• The Two Rons.jpg
    The Two Rons.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice one Phil.....BTW and off topic, are you still doing the Shetland vs Scillies thing this year despite your non-attendance 'oop North'?

Below - the view from the other side 'Oi, Caspians only mate and where's yer permit?.....

Attachments

• DaManagement.jpg
    DaManagement.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back