• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-capped/Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker (Updated more shots). Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
This morning went to different location, a local lake garden. To my surprise, saw this looks very same to previous identified Grey-capped Woodpecker (Grey-capped Woodpecker? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo) in another location. Able to take multiple clear shots today. Hope these shots able to help give more confidence ID confirming if it is Grey-capped Woodpecker or could be Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker (Yungipicus moluccensis) instead.

The underparts can be clearly seen with orange/dark yellowish color. The back pattern and spots can be clearly seen too. All the shots posted here were cropped from original JPG out of camera. No denoise or color adjustment in post done.

Location: Sibu (lowland), trees beside man-made lake, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
Date: 1-Dec-2021
Time: around 8am MYT (GMT +8)

Pic #1 not sure if same bird with others. Pic #2, #3, #4 were same bird.

This time on Pic #3, no blue-ring on its eyes.

PIC-20211201-074923-DSC00034-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211201-074929-DSC00041-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211201-074932-DSC00044-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211201-074941-DSC00054-A7R3.JPG

#5 - showing white bars at its tail
PIC-20211201-074925-DSC00036-A7R3.JPG

Clearly showing a blue iris in pic.3, no pixelation or artefact for me, also I don’t understand the breast tint being labelled as orange which is effectively a limey green/yellow wash about as far removed from orange as you can get.

I’ve shown this (last set of pics) to four other people and the consensus was a yellow green wash?

Cheers

Clearly showing a blue iris in pic.3, no pixelation or artefact for me,
I was referring to the partial blue color eye-ring of my previous post of the only shot I had taken in different location, different day. Compare to latest Pic #3, the previous post pic "partial blue" could be the outer iris. As previous shot that is the only one I had, so can't be sure.
PIC-20211127-093113-DSC00080-A7R3a.jpg

also I don’t understand the breast tint being labelled as orange which is effectively a limey green/yellow wash about as far removed from orange as you can get.
On my laptop screen, it looks little bit of light orange or dark yellowish as I mentioned. It doesn't looks like Limey green but "yellow wash" that yes, I agreed. On my smartphone screen, it doesn't look anywhere near orange at all but yellow wash as you mentioned.

I’ve shown this (last set of pics) to four other people and the consensus was a yellow green wash?
Yellow wash agreed but I don't seen any sign of green on it on both laptop and my smartphone screen.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was referring to the partial blue color eye-ring of my previous post of the only shot I had taken in different location, different day. Compare to latest Pic #3, the previous post pic "partial blue" could be the outer iris. As previous shot that is the only one I had, so can't be sure.
View attachment 1417804

On my laptop screen, it looks little bit of light orange or dark yellowish as I mentioned. It doesn't looks like Limey green but "yellow wash" that yes, I agreed. On my smartphone screen, it doesn't look anywhere near orange at all but yellow wash as you mentioned.

Yellow wash agreed but I don't seen any sign of green on it on both laptop and my smartphone screen.

Thanks for the feedback.
Clearly colour “perception” is a rather personal affair! 😮

Clearly colour “perception” is a rather personal affair! 😮
Can be and the color shown on different devices can also vary quite a lot.

I have not seen any comments on the actual ID of this bird?
Niels

This is the same species as in the previous thread >>
Face/ear-covert-pattern, barring (or absence of) on upper back, and underpart ground-colour are all correct for grey-capped pygmy woodpecker and are all wrong for Sunda pygmy woodpecker.

Yes it is the Grey-capped Woodpecker as your previous thread. The iris colour is a good indicator besides the overall black and white plumage rather than the grey and white plumage of the Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back