• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose rearranging swan's nest (1 Viewer)

iefe

United Kingdom
I saw a greylag on a swan nest, moving sticks around a occasionally sitting on the eggs. The swans were close by but unbothered. What was happening?
Video here quality is bad due to YouTube

LOL I think you misread my post iefe... I said Swan Goose and gave you a link to the Opus page here on the species:

If it is, it's probably escaped from a collection or farmyard. These birds often have Greylag genes. It's very difficult for me to see detail on the bird, which is why I suggested waiting for others to chime in; the guys here can often work things out from the tiniest of details.

LOL I think you misread my post iefe... I said Swan Goose and gave you a link to the Opus page here on the species:

If it is, it's probably escaped from a collection or farmyard. These birds often have Greylag genes. It's very difficult for me to see detail on the bird, which is why I suggested waiting for others to chime in; the guys here can often work things out from the tiniest of details.
No I read it correctly but typed the wrong word. Still not a swan goose. This was filmed at a place with hundreds of wild greylags and I was close enough to the nest to confidently assert that it was, in fact, a greylag

Yeah as OP says it's a Greylag, doesn't even show any Swan Goose influence as far as I can see in the vid.

As to why it seems to be rearranging a swan's nest, who knows? A few years ago (might still be there) there was a white farmyard type Greylag in Midhurst that seemed to think it was a security guard/nanny for the local breeding pair of Egyptian Geese. Not that Egyptian Geese need extra security, but they seemed to put up with it,

Yeah as OP says it's a Greylag, doesn't even show any Swan Goose influence as far as I can see in the vid.

As to why it seems to be rearranging a swan's nest, who knows? A few years ago (might still be there) there was a white farmyard type Greylag in Midhurst that seemed to think it was a security guard/nanny for the local breeding pair of Egyptian Geese. Not that Egyptian Geese need extra security, but they seemed to put up with it,
Didn't expect any more replies to this thread but I did email a goose expert (Prof. Sonia Kleindofer of Flinders university) and this was her helpful response
Screenshot_2024-04-14-14-39-14-93_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpgScreenshot_2024-04-14-14-39-18-08_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back