• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gold spot or Lempke's? (1 Viewer)

edenwatcher

Those of you following my thread will know that, after a recent run of jolly nice plusias, I have almost reached the full set available for the garden list. The one outstanding species (or so I thought) was Lempke's gold spot which led me to wondering how one tells the 2 gold spots apart.
Looking at photos on the web led me to re-examine my photos of the single gold spot I caught last August - with the result that I had the thought - why isn't that Lempke's?
The ground colour looks quite yellowish and the spots seem more the right shape for Lempke's.

What does anyone else think?

Rob

Attachments

• gold spot2.jpg
    gold spot2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 156
Last I heard they were dubiously separable even on genitalia! Be interested to hear more. The attached one was accepted as a Gold Spot on the photo by my CR but I've always had a nagging doubt.

Perhaps we could put both pictures on UKMoths and ask the latest?

Attachments

• gold_spot_9jun05_420_20c.jpg
    gold_spot_9jun05_420_20c.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 148
Be my guest Brian - I haven't subscribed (yet).
Caught on 6th August 2005 on Eden Estuary LNR, Fife (well more or less!)

Rob

Just one response from ukmoths, from Michael Bailey. At least it answered my query about how practical separation is.

"Sticking my neck out I'd say the one from Hunts is a good match for the Gold
Spot. This is using the pictures in Skinner and MoGBI which show the bottom
subapical streak as being longer in the Gold Spot. The other one looks
closer to Lempke's but the books do urge caution and MoGBI says "The species
can only be separated with certainty by examination of the genitalia"

I was on one of David Brown's moth courses at Malham Tarn in Yorkshire and
both of these sp occur there, so it was a good opportunity to compare them.
We did an experiment and I checked them on genitalia and on well marked
specimens David could get them correct every time. (Well at least that is
how I remember it!)"

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back