• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going to Bharatpur next week and... (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

... am wondering which guest houses are best to stay in for birders? There are a few on teh cards like; Birders inn, Falcon's Nest, etc. but I am wondering if anyone knows definitely which ones are run by knowledgeable / travel friendly prprietors?

It's hot and they'll be less birds I know, but I want to go and check the place out anyway - will perhaps visit again in the Autumn.

Thanks,

Jim

thanks people - i'll look into Sunbird - does the owner have bird knowledge then?

I know its dry but hopefully they'll still be things of interst there! Am going on to Rathembur (sp?) and rest of Rajasthan and Gujurati.

Have been to the Himalayas via Corbett so will post a modest list of everthing seen so far soon. Am finding the birds here fascinating.

jimmyjames said:
thanks people - i'll look into Sunbird - does the owner have bird knowledge then?

Yes, it is well set up for the birder. Note though it is quite a bit more expensive than many of the alternatives, but I guess the facilities are also higher. I didn't stay there on any of my trips, but did eat there once or twice and would say it is a nice enough place.

Avoid the Forest Lodge at all costs - horrible 1960's era Soviet style concrete block with rude staff and no hot water.
Falcon is very friendly and does nice meals, bike hire etc.

I hope for your sake there is water there - it was bone dry in November and very few birds - loads of Jackals though. There's some photos on my web page www.tonycoatsworth.co.uk

Last edited:
Hi , i am going to India in January on an organised bird tour , we now find out the water level at Bharatpur is non-existent. can anyone advise on alternative venues near that area ? since we are a small group there is a possibility to rearrange the itenary a bit. also is there any birdlife at Bharatpur which would save the situation a little?.

I would have to give the Sunbird my vote too - although it was some time ago and I haven't stayed in any others near-by.

Did a superb navratan at that time and managed to arranged for beers to be available on the day of Gandhi's birthday even though its meant to be "dry"!!!!

cheers
Gordon

Hi , i am going to India in January on an organised bird tour , we now find out the water level at Bharatpur is non-existent. can anyone advise on alternative venues near that area ? since we are a small group there is a possibility to rearrange the itenary a bit. also is there any birdlife at Bharatpur which would save the situation a little?.

Hi,

according to the owner of Hotel Sunbird, the water level at Bharatpur is not as bad as last year. Have you ever been to Bharatpur before? I went in 1995 when there was plenty of water and am going again next month. I will be posting a trip report when I get back but I have been advised that whilst it will be a lot drier than last I went, there will still be plenty to see. Its just that if you have seen it in it's glory days then there is the chance that you might be disappointed. If this is your first trip then I'm sure you will be in awe of the place. Also, I enquired to Tropical Birding as they have posted a trip report from last year when the park was drier than this year. They still saw quite a lot of species.

http://www.tropicalbirding.com/tripReports/TR_NorthIndia_Dec2006/TR_NorthIndia_Dec2006.htm

This is what they had to say on the situation at Bharatpur this year:

This year is nowhere near as dry as it was last year, so you should be fine in Bharatpur. The site we had the most luck with was about an hour west of Bharatpur. I forget the name but if you go to the front gate and wait for the local guides to arrive, there is a guy called Ravi that will have all the gen.

Hopefully you'll have a learer picture of what its like before you go when you read my report! :t:

Jo.

Hi briddo13,

Have you considered Ranthambhore National Park. It has the largest number of tigers in India and a large number of birds of every kind.

Ranthambhore/Sawai Madhopur takes a couple of hours to reach by bus or train from Bharatpur. The exquisite Khem Villas [ http://www.khemvillas.com/ ] would be a good place to stay. It is run by my friend Dr. Goverdhan Rathore who also does significant social work in the area. He is the son of Fateh Singh Rathore, the Project Director for Rhino Rescue Trust and Vice Chairman of Tiger Watch, but better known as the 'Tiger Man of India'

More info is available here:
http://www.ranthambhore.com/Ranthambhore National Park.pdf
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ews-Khem_Villas-Sawai_Madhopur_Rajasthan.html

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back