• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glare Monsters! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I compared the Habicht 8x30 to the Nikon SE 8x32 and I liked the Habicht better because it was brighter, had a bigger FOV and the colors were more neutral or whiter. The SE did have sharper edges, but it is finicky for eye placement, which is a well known problem with the SE.

But then I pulled out the SLC 8x56, and it just killed both of them. The big glass has much better contrast, fewer aberrations, and you can see into the shadows better. When I tried the SLC 8x56 after the SE and the Habicht it was almost like a film was removed from the FOV. The SLC 8x56 is much more transparent. Also, you can hold the bigger binocular steadier because it takes more inertia to move it. I gave the Habicht and the SE a funeral and sold them the next day. They sold within hours.
I’m shocked, a 56mm alpha optic seemed better than a 30/32, who would’ve thunk it 😜.

I’m shocked, a 56mm alpha optic seemed better than a 30/32, who would’ve thunk it 😜.
True, it all depends on the quality of said optics. My Fuji HC 8x42 is definitely way better than my Kite Cervus HD 8x56 and brighter in the daytime too which hints at the coatings being better. It has lower CA (barely any to my eyes) and is sharper. So yeah, it seems a 500€ bino can't beat a 850€ bino, no matter that it's an 8x56.
And yet, even the Fuji 8x42 is sometimes too heavy for my liking, so out comes the Meopro HD 8x32.
I think I only once too the 8x56 for a hike.

And it’s way to heavy for you, your no Schwarzenegger. You know you cant hold them up too long, This will aggravate the arthritis and you lack the muscle mass, it’s just way too much for you to handle 56 mm binoculars. It’s time to pass them on master Po. I think you need a nice Rangemaster or maybe a nice E2
The Doc put me on a new Arthritis med and I feel like Lou Ferrigno now. Actually, the SLC 8x56 is not bad to hold because they are balanced very well, and they have indentations in front of the oculars that make balancing them pretty easy. They are a chunk around your neck, but I don't hike for miles anyway.

Ok Dennis, this is your second time around with the SLC 8X56. One question, how long this time? just curious.
You know, when I tried the SLC 8x56 before, I didn't test them long enough to realize how much better they are than a 32 mm or 42 mm. This time I was comparing different 8x56's to my 8x32's and 8x42's in different light and when I went back to the 8x56 I couldn't believe how much better they were.

You know a Habicht 8x30 or Nikon SE 8x32 is a superb binocular, but they are still a 32 mm and even the Doctor Nobilem 8x56 would put them to shame. I got tired of glare with all the smaller binoculars and the 7 mm EP of the 8x56 eliminates it, or at least you don't see it.

The Nobilem only has a 6.4 degree FOV so that was a little narrow, so I moved up to the SLC 8x56 which has a 7.6 degree FOV, and it makes a considerable difference. If you hike a lot I wouldn't expect anybody to carry an 8x56 but if you do don't hike great distances or you static bird, and you like a good view they are hard to beat.

The 8x56's are great for low light birding. They are for the optics nut that wants the best view you can get, and you don't care about the weight.

True, it all depends on the quality of said optics. My Fuji HC 8x42 is definitely way better than my Kite Cervus HD 8x56 and brighter in the daytime too which hints at the coatings being better. It has lower CA (barely any to my eyes) and is sharper. So yeah, it seems a 500€ bino can't beat a 850€ bino, no matter that it's an 8x56.
And yet, even the Fuji 8x42 is sometimes too heavy for my liking, so out comes the Meopro HD 8x32.
I think I only once too the 8x56 for a hike.
Try an SLC 8x56. You just might retire your Fuji HC 8x42. The SLC is a different animal than the Kite Cervus 8x56. It has 93% transmission and almost no CA with the Fluorite glass. Nobody has better coatings than Swarovski. That is why the Habicht's have 95% transmission. Most people that have an SLC 8x56, 10x56 or 15x56 will tell you it is the best optic they have ever had. Tenex has a SLC 10x56 and 15x56, which he speaks highly of.

I read some reviews on the Fuji, and it sounds like a fine binocular and if I hiked for miles I would still have an 8x32 or 8x42. The SLC 8x56 is for somebody that wants the ultimate view and doesn't care about the weight. If it can make a Habicht 8x30 and Nikon SE 8x32 look washed out, that is telling you something. You could carry an 8x56 with a good harness, and it probably wouldn't bother you hiking too much at all.

From a post by Tenex.

"I have SLC HD 10x42 (2011), 10x56 and 15x56 (2018). It was the 42 I got serviced, after buying it used last year. The 15 is amazing, one of my favorite bins ever. The 10x56 is surely the best I've ever had optically, and at the time it complemented my Leica 10x32 nicely, but I probably wouldn't have got it if I'd expected to find a 10x42 I liked and really don't find myself using it often enough now, though it's a pleasure when I do."

Last edited:
Try an SLC 8x56. You just might retire your Fuji HC 8x42. The SLC is a different animal than the Kite Cervus 8x56. It has 93% transmission and almost no CA with the Fluorite glass. Nobody has better coatings than Swarovski. That is why the Habicht's have 95% transmission. Most people that have an SLC 8x56, 10x56 or 15x56 will tell you it is the best optic they have ever had. Tenex has a SLC 10x56 and 15x56, which he speaks highly of.

I read some reviews on the Fuji, and it sounds like a fine binocular and if I hiked for miles I would still have an 8x32 or 8x42. The SLC 8x56 is for somebody that wants the ultimate view and doesn't care about the weight. If it can make a Habicht 8x30 and Nikon SE 8x32 look washed out, that is telling you something. You could carry an 8x56 with a good harness, and it probably wouldn't bother you hiking too much at all.
Dennis, I've never seen anyone carrying a x56 binocular in the UK.
Practically, an 8x56 at 1350g is 🤪

Over a couple of decades I've seen only a handful of birders carrying x50.

As for an 8x56 providing the ultimate view, you think?
I'll have greater magnification thank you (or less😄)

Denco: did you get the chance to see through it with eyetubes all the way in, and just place eyes in front of them.

Curious if you get the same effect I do.

Dennis, I've never seen anyone carrying a x56 binocular in the UK.
Practically, an 8x56 at 1350g is 🤪

Over a couple of decades I've seen only a handful of birders carrying x50.

As for an 8x56 providing the ultimate view, you think?
I'll have greater magnification thank you (or less😄)
I prefer 8x over 7x or10x. 7x isn't enough reach for me, and I can't hold 10x as steady. I like the DOF and bigger FOV in an 8x versus a 10x also. Also, an 8x56 has a lot of optical advantages over even a 10x56. It has a bigger EP, so it has less glare, less optical aberrations, you can see in the shadows deeper and in low light it will be brighter. Outside of the weight, a good 8x56 is the ultimate birding binocular. The two best are the Swarovski SLC 8x56 or Zeiss FL 8x56.

I think more birders would carry bigger aperture binoculars if they realized how much better they are. I am not recommending you carry a 56 mm binocular if you are hiking a lot, although with a harness it is tolerable. In that situation, I would use an 8x42 or 8x32, but you are giving up a lot when it comes to the view. For short hikes, in a hide, on a tripod or used statically, give me an SLC 8x56 or FL 8x56.

The SLC 8x56 is only 9 oz. heavier than an NL 8x42, and it is better and $1000 cheaper. All the optical wizardry in the world in the NL 8x42 can't defy the laws of physics. The SLC 8x56 still has a huge aperture advantage, and it makes it superior to the NL. Astronomers know that aperture rules, and birders should know it too.

Last edited:

Henry, from Why are those dang Habicht's so BRIGHT a while back you replied to Dennis partly with this.​

“know a lot of people like the 8x30 Habicht, but it's really not that hard for a pretty high aberration binocular to impress when the magnification is low, the observer is hand holding, there is no better reference handy and especially when that binocular is presented as a venerated object of cult worship”

What would be a better reference binocular? Would it be another 8x30/32? And how much would you say people are being fooled into thinking the 8x32 Habicht’s are good binoculars by that venerated object of cult worship?
I do use the 8x30 Habicht as a reference for light transmission and color accuracy, but it's just not good enough to be used as a reference for aberrations, on or off axis. A better reference for those things would be a binocular with lower spherical and longitudinal chromatic aberrations and lower off-axis astigmatism and field curvature.

For one example of a binocular with much lower spherical and longitudinal chromatic aberrations (when stopped down to 30m) I would suggest looking at the photos of the USAF 1951 from this old post and following the instructions in the text.

Wait for it, wait for it. I think we’re getting closer to the for sale post. Im watching the other three websites for the post as well. Anybody want to do a pool for when, what week or day Dennis lists the SLC’s? We could give away a binocular for the person who guesses the closest. 😆🍺

I prefer 8x over 7x or10x. 7x isn't enough reach for me, and I can't hold 10x as steady. I like the DOF and bigger FOV in an 8x versus a 10x also. Also, an 8x56 has a lot of optical advantages over even a 10x56. It has a bigger EP, so it has less glare, less optical aberrations, you can see in the shadows deeper and in low light it will be brighter. Outside of the weight, a good 8x56 is the ultimate birding binocular. The two best are the Swarovski SLC 8x56 or Zeiss FL 8x56.

I think more birders would carry bigger aperture binoculars if they realized how much better they are. I am not recommending you carry a 56 mm binocular if you are hiking a lot, although with a harness it is tolerable. In that situation, I would use an 8x42 or 8x32, but you are giving up a lot when it comes to the view. For short hikes, in a hide, on a tripod or used statically, give me an SLC 8x56 or FL 8x56.

The SLC 8x56 is only 9 oz. heavier than an NL 8x42, and it is better and $1000 cheaper. All the optical wizardry in the world in the NL 8x42 can't defy the laws of physics. The SLC 8x56 still has a huge aperture advantage, and it makes it superior to the NL. Astronomers know that aperture rules, and birders should know it too.
Dennis, by your age you should have realised that haptics and ergonomics are the most important things if you are using something a lot.

Dennis, by your age you should have realised that haptics and ergonomics are the most important things if you are using something a lot.
I don't have a problem with the SLC 8x56 because I don't hike long distances. I like having the best view available, and the SLC 8x56 gives me that. I am tired of all the glare from the 32 mm and 42 mm binoculars. Once you get used to a good 8x56, it is hard to back a smaller glass.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the SLC 8x56 because I don't hike long distances. I like having the best view available, and the SLC 8x56 gives me that. I am tired of all the glare from the 32 mm and 42 mm binoculars. Once you get used to a good 8x56, it is hard to back to the mediocre view of a smaller glass.
So you're now saying, for example, my two favourites, Swarovski 12x42NL and Zeiss 7x42FL give a mediocre view.

I remember when you thought Swaro made sticky focusers:
And when classic Leicas were more your thing:

I wear Denises ignore status of me as a badge of honor. Lots of times the truth hurts.

I may be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure it was Dennis who said the NL 8 x 32 is the best birding Binocular in the world. It’s possible he meant just for birding, in any event I’m sure will hear about it in the ad verbiage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back