• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glacier-loving gulls or terns or something (fuzzy pics) - Alaska, USA (1 Viewer)

stuey

( I got back from Alaska on Wednesday morning and I really think this is my last help-me-ID-this-Alaska-bird post (at least from this one trip anyway :D )

Saw these guys on the same cruise on which I believe I saw my Pelagic cormorant. Here we are at the Aialik Bay glacier - actually many hundreds of feet away from it but here the 50x optical zoom on my Canon PowerShot came in really handy.

I couldn't find these guys with their grey wings and grey-and-white-patterned heads and white tailfeathers in my little field guide. Obviously I wish the pics were better but I thought, pie-in-the-sky, that maybe some of the experts here could at least name some candidate species. (They did seem to love staying near the glacier, if that behavior is any kind of tip-off.) :/

Thanks so much in advance.

(Edit I am not good at posting multiple photos; I meant for the second one - the natural one, without the fuzziness from zooming in w/ Photo Editor - to appear first. Oh well.)

glacierbirdscloseup.jpg

lesszoomed.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back