• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo tripod parts compatibility? (1 Viewer)

Gitzy

United States
Hi - I have this Gitzo GT2543L tripod and the tripod-head-connector sits loosely on the vertical post. I can't figure out why it won't connect more firmly. It doesn't go down as far onto the post as the one in the pic, with the head attached (I circled the area in green). There doesn't seem to be any movable part inside the connector. Pics are 1. A correct connection, 2. My connector, 3. Post without connector, 4. Post with connector that sits to high on the post and slides on/off easily. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• GitzoHead1.jpg
    GitzoHead1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
  • GitzoHead2.jpg
    GitzoHead2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 13
  • GitzoHead3.jpg
    GitzoHead3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 13
  • GitzoHead4.jpg
    GitzoHead4.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 13
Have you tried sitting the connector onto the post and turning to see whether it slides down at a point where a 'knob' on the inside of the connector tube slides down the groove in the post? Should that indeed happen I assume that you have to turn it again once it is all the way to lock it in position. I have never taken my GT5533LS apart, so I am just making some assumptions here.

Have you tried sitting the connector onto the post and turning to see whether it slides down at a point where a 'knob' on the inside of the connector tube slides down the groove in the post? Should that indeed happen I assume that you have to turn it again once it is all the way to lock it in position. I have never taken my GT5533LS apart, so I am just making some assumptions here.
I did try that, but there isn't anything like that on the inside. I don't get it. It should be easy. I wonder if Gitzo support would help?

Why is it in parts? Was it like that when you bought it? Did you buy it new?

Does this from the Gitzo site help?
Untitled.jpg
Also, what does the center column look like from the top and what you call the connector from the bottom?

Last edited:
Ignatius, yes it was like that when I received it. It wasn't new.
Thankfully, I figured it out. First, I wanted to separate the two discs on the connector to see what that would reveal. I had to loosen a set screw. That didn't help my issue, but that is the step you need to take to remove the "reversible 3/8" to 1/4" head screw".
Anyway, I could see that there were 3 metal tangs (pic 1) inside the connector that the post was hitting, preventing the connector from going onto the post completely. I also saw that the bottom (silver) ring was marked "Ground Level" with a padlock symbol next to it (pic 2). Apparently, the Ground Level lock unlocks the connector from the post! (The post has to be removed to lower the tripod head to ground level). That ring should be labeled as the Post Lock, if you ask me!
After fiddling with it, I realized that the lock was stuck. With considerable effort, I loosened it. That means, I had to hold the short, black section while I turned the silver ring. It didn't seem to help because it actually shortened the black section. But, I finally looked inside and saw that the metal tangs had retracted (pic 3)! That allowed the post to sit lower, in the correct position. Turning the silver ring in the opposite direction extends the tangs, which lock into the slot of the post (pic 4). It's a slick design once you realize how to use it.

Attachments

• GitzoConnector1.jpg
    GitzoConnector1.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 6
  • GitzoConnector2.jpg
    GitzoConnector2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 6
  • GitzoConnector3.jpg
    GitzoConnector3.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 6
  • GitzoConnector4.jpg
    GitzoConnector4.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 5
Great! Well done on ferreting it out. (At least I was sort of on the right track but my Gitzo doesn't have a centre column, so I was, until now, not acquainted with this concept).
And yes, Column Lock or even just Lock would be much better, but Gitzo is a French company and their stuff is made in Italy ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back