• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas to stop Swarovski ATX 115 AS foot sliding out of Wimberley Head clamp ? (1 Viewer)

Bobalob

Turns out the ATX 115 with BTX is perfectly balanced on the Wimberley Head Version 2 sitting on Gitzo 3542LS tripod. But I'm worried the whole lot could slide out the clamp as there are no safety stops like you get on a Wimberley lens foot attached to a telephoto lens . I tried the Swarovski balance rail but it's redundant and a bit fiddly to take off and on and doesn't come with any safety stops. Has anyone else come across this problem or will I just have to be careful ? Thanks in advance for any replies....

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2803.jpeg
    IMG_2803.jpeg
    977.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Hi Bob,

I'm guessing that the threads for the safety stop screws in the Swarovski rail are M4. That is the size of the threads on most anti-rotation pins. Those on the Wimberley plates are however M3. You would just have to try, but it would not involve any significant cost.

The alternative would be to use one of the following Arca-Swiss compatible lens plates:-
They all have safety stop screws on the underside and have a safety lip, which fulfils the same function as an anti-rotation pin.

John

Hi Bob,

I'm guessing that the threads for the safety stop screws in the Swarovski rail are M4. That is the size of the threads on most anti-rotation pins. Those on the Wimberley plates are however M3. You would just have to try, but it would not involve any significant cost.

The alternative would be to use one of the following Arca-Swiss compatible lens plates:-
They all have safety stop screws on the underside and have a safety lip, which fulfils the same function as an anti-rotation pin.

John
Thanks so much -that is a massive help. I'll try the M4 screws initially . I went for the balance rail initially thinking it was required to mitigate the rotational torque of the BTX. But it's not that heavy and the joint between the BTX and 115 appears very well engineered and I've seen no reports of issues there

And just to complete this topic . I got the Wimberley P-10 lens plate and the whole rig is now perfectly balanced and safe (thanks Tringa45). The RRS Universal lens plate is slightly longer at 3.6" compared to the P-10 which is 3.31" so it might foul the barrel of the lens as you can see from the pics. The Kirk lens plate might be the most elegant solution being only 2.6" long but there may not be enough latitude to balance if using the 1.7x extender

Attachments

• IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    956.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back