• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo GHF2W compatible long plate (2 Viewers)

stuarta21

I'm after a long plate to mount my Kowa 883 on. Having seen the price of the Gitzo one I'm hoping someone has found a suitable generic one at a more budget friendly price? Thanks in advance

I also have an 883 and the centre of gravity is above the foot, so you don't really need a long plate for balance unless you want to tilt it for starwatching.
Mine has a 57 mm Berlebach plate fitted with 3/8" screw (advisable) but the Berlebach plates lack a cutout on the underside and would be incompatible with the safety retention pin on the GHF2W head.
All those linked by Ignatius lack an anti-rotation pin, so the only one suitable would be the Benro PL100 with lips at one end to prevent rotation.
How much is the safety of your 883 worth to you?
For a long plate compatible with the GHF2W I would suggest the following: Clamping Plate 84mm, Movable end stop for QPL coupling plates and tripod clamps and Ersatzschraube 3/8" für QPL-Kupplungsplatten.

John

I also have an 883 and the centre of gravity is above the foot, so you don't really need a long plate for balance unless you want to tilt it for starwatching.
Mine has a 57 mm Berlebach plate fitted with 3/8" screw (advisable) but the Berlebach plates lack a cutout on the underside and would be incompatible with the safety retention pin on the GHF2W head.
All those linked by Ignatius lack an anti-rotation pin, so the only one suitable would be the Benro PL100 with lips at one end to prevent rotation.
How much is the safety of your 883 worth to you?
For a long plate compatible with the GHF2W I would suggest the following: Clamping Plate 84mm, Movable end stop for QPL coupling plates and tripod clamps and Ersatzschraube 3/8" für QPL-Kupplungsplatten.

John
I digiscope quite a lot which changes the centre of gravity. On my old head I used a long plate so I could move the scope forward to balance my digiscoping setup

I digiscope quite a lot which changes the centre of gravity. On my old head I used a long plate so I could move the scope forward to balance my digiscoping setup
I see. Then you would probably need an even longer plate than the Novoflex one I linked - 120 mm?
All the more reason for a secure setup. Throw out the 3/8"x16 to 1/4"x20 adapter and fix the plate directly with 3/8" screw to the scope foot.

John

I'm after a long plate to mount my Kowa 883 on. Having seen the price of the Gitzo one I'm hoping someone has found a suitable generic one at a more budget friendly price? Thanks in advance
I have a friend who is an engineer the hole in the scope foot for the anti-rotation pin was tapped out to take a flat head screw of the exact length and my scope is more secure than it has ever been and I keep it permanantly on a long arca swiss plate obviously care and accuracy are paramount which is why I chose someone used to working with fine tolerances.And if you use your scope on a car /hide or what ever mount it MUST be adapted to arca swiss.
I do think that constantly changing plates on any optics is a recipe for disaster worn out threads are of no use once you have the right plate it can be loctite thread treatment and peace of mind.

Last edited:
I have a spare Gitzo long plate that came with the GHFG1 fluid head - I think it is the GS5370LDR but I cannot guarantee it.

I use the Swarovski balance rail so I don't need it.

If you are still looking for one, PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back