• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gatekeeper (1 Viewer)

johnty52

Hope this isnt a stupid question, but where does the name "Gatekeeper" originate from?
It seems so at odds with most names which usually incorporate some element of the butterfly's appearance in them.

Johnty

johnty52 said:
Hope this isnt a stupid question, but where does the name "Gatekeeper" originate from?
It seems so at odds with most names which usually incorporate some element of the butterfly's appearance in them.

Johnty

Hi Johnty,

Gatekeepers are seen along hedgerows and by the side of paths. I walked around the tiny island of Herm last week where I saw masses of them flying along the bracken and brambles at the sides of the paths. Beyond were fields and if you stopped at the field gate you might be able to guess why they are called Gatekeepers. They seemed to be flying all around the gates as if they were watching over them (keepers). Also known as the Hedge Brown Butterfly, very pretty they are too.

Nerine

Nerine said:
Hi Johnty,

Gatekeepers are seen along hedgerows and by the side of paths. I walked around the tiny island of Herm last week where I saw masses of them flying along the bracken and brambles at the sides of the paths. Beyond were fields and if you stopped at the field gate you might be able to guess why they are called Gatekeepers. They seemed to be flying all around the gates as if they were watching over them (keepers). Also known as the Hedge Brown Butterfly, very pretty they are too.

Nerine

Hello Johnty,
Back in the 1800's they were known as The Small Meadow Brown, for rather obvious reasons, later it became the Hedge Brown as Nerine says and then The Gatekeeper.

Several of our butterflies have had name changes over the years, some species have had more 'Common Name' changes than Scientific Name.

Harry

Thanks Harry and Nerine, I've only recently started taking a 'closer' interest in non-avian creatures through photography and looking through a reference book it just struck me as an odd name, out of place with the swallow tails, green veined whites and so-on.

Thanks again
Johnty

johnty52 said:
Thanks Harry and Nerine, I've only recently started taking a 'closer' interest in non-avian creatures through photography and looking through a reference book it just struck me as an odd name, out of place with the swallow tails, green veined whites and so-on.

Thanks again
Johnty

Hello Johnty,
If you think butterfly common names are odd, try looking in a moth book, that really will have you baffled. lol.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back