• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garganey? South East UK - September (1 Viewer)

xaviertaylor

Hi all - Apologies for what might be a daft question here!!! I'm going through photos that are a few week old. Had some very distant views of what I thought to be a couple of Garganey, but they were hanging around a load of mallards in similar looking plumage, some of which were also sporting a rather distinct eyestripe. So would you mind taking a look to see if I did in fact also see a Garganey? Thanks for any input you can offer

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_41f4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_41f4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • fullsizeoutput_41fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_41fd.jpeg
    608.3 KB · Views: 89
  • fullsizeoutput_41fc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_41fc.jpeg
    707.6 KB · Views: 81
  • fullsizeoutput_41f5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_41f5.jpeg
    848.7 KB · Views: 84
  • fullsizeoutput_41fb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_41fb.jpeg
    850.2 KB · Views: 98
Just Mallard I'm afraid. They can show head patterns very much like Garganey but the size and other features such as bill colour and tail pattern should always put you right.

Steve
Thanks for your reply - in my heart of hearts I knew this would be the case but I'd heard there were Garganey in the area and it kept plaguing me!!!

Garganey is a small duck like teal , so these could never have been that species .
But occasionally some mallards have a slightly garganey-like head pattern , and that is what you have here ...

additionally also some other mallards, teal , gadwall and shoveler

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back