• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2022 (1 Viewer)

Bit of quandary on this, wife and I both stirred at 5.25 am, (bed window open) when we heard praps a metre + away, a “too-it-too-it-too-it”,
I said “that doesn’t sound like tawny to me, too soft a call”.
At which point, my wife (who was facing the window) said “it’s flown” seeing it fly against the lighter sky.
To which I exclaimed “size?”, too which she replied, smaller than Tawny!
We’re both familiar with the latter also it’s calls but not over familiar with the former’s, which can be quite varied I understand.
Heard a classic LO a few years ago (from the house) and have only seen a single bird on forest land once before in my lifetime…it would be a good year tick to say the least…thus a bit of a dilemma!😩

Last edited:
Bit of quandary on this, wife and I both stirred at 5.25 am, (bed window open) when we heard praps a metre + away, a “too-it-too-it-too-it”,
I said “that doesn’t sound like tawny to me, too soft a call”.
At which point, my wife (who was facing the window) said “it’s flown” seeing it fly against the lighter sky.
To which I exclaimed “size?”, too which she replied, smaller than Tawny!
We’re both familiar with the latter also it’s calls but not over familiar with the former’s, which can be quite varied I understand.
Heard a classic LO a few years ago (from the house) and have only seen a single bird on forest land once before in my lifetime…it would be a good year tick to say the least…thus a bit of a dilemma!😩
Check Xeno-canto and see if you can find a match.

Check Xeno-canto and see if you can find a match.
I did and I couldn’t 😩 the perching facilities adjacent to the window would certainly favour Little over Tawny and my wife and I both agreed it sounded too “soft” and unlike any Tawny that we’ve heard previously.
Added to which, my wife was quite certain it was smaller than the latter….an invidious position I find myself in.😩

... I have to admit, the description of call didn't sound like a Little Owl to me, but rather a subsong-ing Tawny Owl perhaps.

Tawny Owls do have a very varied vocal repertoire, so without it matching a specific Little Owl call that excludes Tawny ... difficult but maybe one that got away (or maybe sit next to the open window the next few nights to try and get confirmation Ken ... ;-) )

Last edited:
...or lie in the garden and cover yourself in small mammals ;)
That could be a shrewd move ...

I had an interesting encounter back when I was birding on Corsica once. I'd pitched my tent and was sitting outside it in the pitch dark eating my supper of cream crackers and cheese spread triangles when there was an almighty whoosh and a downdraft of air brushed the top of my head and shoulders and scared the living daylights out of me momentarily. Although I didn't see anything of course (I just felt it) I think it must have been an owl (Long-eared Owl on range iirc) that thought it was about to pounce on a tasty small mammal nibbling on something in the vegetation before it aborted at the very last second ...

(I didn't have a working torch and crackers were lightweight travel food)

Last edited:
... I have to admit, the description of call didn't sound like a Little Owl to me, but rather a subsong-ing Tawny Owl perhaps.

Tawny Owls do have a very varied vocal repertoire, so without it matching a specific Little Owl call that excludes Tawny ... difficult but maybe one that got away (or maybe sit next to the open window the next few nights to try and get confirmation Ken ... ;-) )
My windows rarely close.👍

I had an interesting encounter back when I was birding on Corsica once. I'd pitched my tent and was sitting outside it in the pitch dark eating my supper of cream crackers and cheese spread triangles when there was an almighty whoosh and a downdraft of air brushed the top of my head and shoulders and scared the living daylights out of me momentarily…..sounds like Otis Dreading. 😂

The saga continues, whilst in the land of nod (moi) this am, my wife heard it call just twice this time, again from the same presumed point at 6.40am.
It is the bird feeder tree, which in turn does attract rodents even on to the feeder apart from the ground of course….hopefully time will tell.😩

Attachments

• 63AC048B-EDE8-4722-8229-20455BA76EDC.jpeg
    63AC048B-EDE8-4722-8229-20455BA76EDC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
No new yard birds to report, but I wanted to share a few photos of the special Fan-tailed Warbler (New World;)) that I went to see yesterday! Only Arizona's 13th record, and an extremely confiding bird that was only 45 minutes' drive. Now if it could just fly north a bit to my yard...

Attachments

• 1121221632a_HDR.jpg
    1121221632a_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 1121221632d_HDR.jpg
    1121221632d_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 1121221632o_HDR.jpg
    1121221632o_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Well, Mistle was 49. But: I smashed my phone with my list on it, so I'll have to try & reconstruct from memory!
(I've lost all my notes, lots of important stuff😪🤮🤯)
Write everything down folks, cos you can't clone a non working phone.

Well, Mistle was 49. But: I smashed my phone with my list on it, so I'll have to try & reconstruct from memory!
(I've lost all my notes, lots of important stuff😪🤮🤯)
Write everything down folks, cos you can't clone a non working phone.
If on Google docs or similar on phone, all is automatically backed up and accessable from any computer. Same goes for photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back