• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Patch, Caergwrle. (1 Viewer)

A great weekend, with great weather. Spent a fair amount of time in the garden, Archie on a blanket with some toys, Anna tinkering with the garden, my parents popped round for a gossip and a cuppa, and by close of play on Saturday I'd notched up a new garden day total record! 42! Highligts were a male Reed Bunting low over (in from the north, headed off eastish) at 08:15, and a Hobby circling overhead for a good ten minutes mid afternoon (threeish), both year ticks. Nothing else all that unusual, just a wide selection of what's normal for the time of year (although I did make a point of popping out into the front garden until I'd heard a distant singing Willow Warbler, and of hanging on in the garden until the Tawnies started hooting).

Less time to watch on Sunday, but still managed a few goodies; yet another Cormorant, heading south at 09:15, and the first Lapwing of the year over north ten minutes later. Jay and Coal Tit also put in appearances after being uncooperative the day before, and a small Falcon, presumably Hobby, shot past low, heading upstream at 20:55, but it was getting dark by then, and the bird was so quick I never stood a chance of getting my bins to it.
Bird of the day though was unidentified and hugely frustrating. About half four in the afternoon I got onto a largish raptor, high and getting higher, slowly circling away from me, drifting north. Couldn't immediately even asign it to genus, let alone species, but eventually plumped for a large Falcon of some sort. If the tail had been shorter, and the wings more pointed, I would probably would have let it through as a Peregrine, and I wonder if it wasn't Saker, or Lanner, or hybrid, but some escaped falconers bird anyway. The only real plumage feature I could make out, a couple of times as it banked, was a quite finely barred tail (one of the reasons I went for Falco in the end).
Stumped, but as I said before; a great weekend!

James

Four Black-headed gulls circling over the house yesterday early evening was a good May record, and one of the local Blackbirds has taken to fly-catching, shooting up seven or eight feet in the air from the ground to snatch up insects, not something I can recall ever having seen them do before.

James

And the rest of May has been really quiet! In spite of spending plenty of time watching, there's very little to report. Most of my attention has been on the sky, for the simple reason that now the trees and bushes are all in full leaf any birds therein will probably only reveal themselves vocally, however hard I look. There were two more Black-headed Gulls over (north at 8:40 am) and a Mistle Thrush heading upstream (7:30 pm) on 25th, and thirteen Canada Geese north (8:45 am) on 29th, and other than the odd Raven, Buzzard or Sparrowhawk drifting over that's been about all that's noteworthy. Except for the absence of Whitethroats so far this year; they're nearby, just not quite close enough to hear from the garden.

James

Still not much to show for all the time I'm spending watching the skies above Caergwrle, but at least with the turn of the month I can start targeting birds I missed in June last year. First up was a couple of Black-headed Gulls over on 3rd. Then this morning I spent twenty minutes or so in the front garden listening out for any Willlow Warblers over by the Castle. No luck with them, but a calling Coal Tit was a new June bird, so by no means a waste of time.

James

Things are kind of slow at the moment, and opportunities to put in the time have been infrequent, but anyway, here’s the scoop for the past fortnight.

12/6 – Got back from the weekly shop to find the local Jackdaws raising Cane over towards Caer Estyn. They were circling in a column topped by no fewer than 7 Ravens! Not sure if it was the Ravens they were complaining about, or if they were all united in a corvid co-operative, mobbing something I missed out on. Eventually four of the Ravens peeled off and drifted north(ish) directly overhead, leaving three to continue to circle higher as the jackdaws slowly lost interest. Impressive stuff and fun to watch.

15/6 – The first signs of a post breeding dispersal? A Nuthatch calling from downstream towards the castle while I was sitting in the garden reading a book.

16/6 – A weird record this. Mute Swan wingbeats heard going over at around 6:20am while I was, erm…, going about my morning routine. I’m not sure Caergwrle is yet ready for the sight of me tumbling out the front door trailing bog roll with my trousers round my ankles, so I thought it best to let that one stand as a heard only record.

17/6 – More post-breeding dispersal? The first of a series of records of Jays around the back garden (this one actually perched on the fence), as opposed to simply heard in the distance.

22/6 – Very windy. A surprising record of Cormorant heading south, quite high, late morning.

24/6 – Another Nuthatch downstream, late morning, this one showing though, foraging through the top of an Ash tree. Also another Cormorant, early evening, again heading south.

26/6 – Garden Tick! Spotted Flycatcher, perched up for about a minute and a half in the top of a Willow directly opposite the spare room window! Not flycatching though; it just flew inform below, sat for a bit, and then flew off, dropping behind the foliage as it went. The area the other side of those Willows looks good for Spotted Flycatchers, but I shall have to wait for a day that I'm not looking after Arch to investigate, as the only place from which to view it is a path with no pushchair access!

James

16/6 – A weird record this. Mute Swan wingbeats heard going over at around 6:20am while I was, erm…, going about my morning routine. I’m not sure Caergwrle is yet ready for the sight of me tumbling out the front door trailing bog roll with my trousers round my ankles, so I thought it best to let that one stand as a heard only record.
Probably a wise decision. Avoids the complications of arrest, public shame, deportation etc...
"But I had to SEE that they were actually Mute Swans! For my Garden List, you understand. It's important."
"Of course, sir. Come along..."

A quiet July, with post-breeding dispersal being the only notable feature, and only just at that. Three species in particular. First is Nuthatch, which is one of the most noticeable birds around at the moment (vocally that is), but if last year is anything to go by once we get into September they’ll be disappearing, becoming an extreme rarity once more, until we get to late June next year. Second is Siskin. Last year they didn’t make their autumn appearance until mid October. This year we had up to five knocking about between 14th & 26th (no sign since). Third is Swallow, which is a surprisingly scarce bird from the garden between spring and autumn migration, but on 26th & 27th there were around 40, mostly if not entirely youngsters, heading north. Again, none since.

Only other thing of note was our big female Sparrowhawk, now looking rather tatty, was flying around clutching a Swift on 9th. Didn't seem to have any fixed destination in mind (went over a couple of times), just seemed to be showing it off!

James

James

Never had you down for a Yellow Lab puppy either James. Mind you the wet nose might fit!8-P

Ravens over the office in Mold today - not very far from you.

Ravens over the office in Mold today - not very far from you.

Cheers Phil, had a couple cruising around over the house for much of yesterday, but the bird-of-the-day prize has to go to the four Curlews heading north early afternoon; second garden record!

James

Autumn is definately kicking in, at last, and turning up some good birds too.

12/8

Male Peregrine over house 17:15 (the first since 1/3/08)

16/8

Adult Hobby drifting north at around 09:00, 10 Cormorants over east 09:20, final day count of 32 included an immature Peregrine.

17/8

6 Goosander south at 07:30, and possibly the last Swift of the year over the house at 14:00.

This morning

I was scoping the skyline way over towards Caer Estyn (this seems to be where much of the Hirundine & Swift southerly movement has taken place over the last few days) seeing if I couldn't move back the latest date for Swift by a few days (I couldn't) when I heard a familiar call, stepped back from the scope and there was an Oystercatcher heading north! If it hadn't have called I would've been none the wiser! This was at around 06:10, with 2 Curlews heading south at 06:40. Also Raven over and Nuthatch shouting its head off from the very top of its favourite Ash tree.

Garden list now 80, 67 for the year.

James

Last edited:
That feeling of the changing seasons becomes more and more marked. Managed to get my latest garden Swift date shifted back a few days after all, with three over on the morning of 25th, with Hobby putting in an appearance too, heading low south, carrying prey. This was also the last day on which the Nuthatches have been calling. It's like someone has flicked a switch; one minute they're shouting their heads off every morning, the next, nada.

Chiffchaffs ha ve become a lot more vocal though, with up to four yesterday foraging through the Willows, along with plenty of Blue and Great Tits, which also seem to have become much more evident recently, since they've completed their breeding season.

Two species that have been totally absent since spring have made a welcome return over the last couple of days; Grey Wagtail and Mistle Thrush (the latter making up the the recent lack of records by pitching up as a flock of eight going over, followed a little while later by two more).

A record count of 14 Canada Geese headed downstream early morning on 29th, and Cormorants continue to put in occasional appearances.

Lots of Swallows on the move yesterday afternoon. Not sure of numbers as they were moving over such a wide front, and I didn't have time to watch them for any length of time, but each time I did look there they were; a steady trickle of birds heading south.

And this morning there was a Nuthatch sitting on the neighbour's garden fence, so even though they've shut up, it would appear there's at least one still around!

Fingers crossed for a productive autumn!

James

Well, not a huge amount to report, but it’s been a while so I’ll do a quick round-up.

A couple of date extensions, with Nuthatch still kicking around, calling and showing occasionally, most recently one over the house on 23rd. Didn’t have any after 6th last year. And Chiffchaff; there’s one that hangs around in a couple of Alders opposite the back garden, and was calling yesterday afternoon, a day later than last year (fingers crossed he can hang on in there till October).

The Black-headed gulls have been flying by at a good range in the afternoons recently, and I must have checked a little over a thousand of them over the past few days, hoping for a Med, but no luck yet. One thing I did get onto as I was scanning through them though was a small dark passerine, heading south a fair way off and quite high up, with a fast, direct, whirring flight, with occasional pauses. Took a couple of beats to figure it out; Dipper! Could just about make out the white throat once the penny dropped. Never seen one flying anything like that high before! (And only the second sight record for the garden.)

So, what else? A few Cormorants still, a record count of three Kestrels on 24th and no Swallows or House Martins since 18th (although there’s still plenty of time for the odd late bird to go through). The best of the rest has been things like Goldcrest, a few Goosander, plenty of Grey Wags, Stock Dove, Blackcaps (including an immature whose cap was barely distinguishable and briefly had me going).

Doesn’t quite feel like I’m getting the returns for the time I’m putting in at the moment. Way it goes, I suppose.

James

The first Redwings of the winter, a group of eight, headed over east on the morning of the 6th, and better still the first Meadow Pipits of the year, a duo, went over low south about an hour later. Also there are now at least a couple of Pied Wagtails around, they'd been absent since April.

No House Martins since the 2nd, but three Swallows went south yesterday afternoon, Chiffchaff was calling on the 8th, and we still have at least one Nuthatch lingering.

James

Not a bad day on 25th October, with a Kingfisher heading downsteam, somewhat bizarrely at just above tree top height, and better still a garden tick in the shape of an adult Great Black-backed Gull. I've been on the look out for one of these since moving in, scanning through thousands of commuting Gulls, and when I finally see one it's a bird on its own, drifting south so low down and close in that it eventually disappears behind the castle, and I clock it as I'm returning to the car to bring the rest of the shopping in!

That late lingering Nuthatch was last heard on 26th, but could still be around (it'd be nice to get it onto the Garden's November list).

First Fieldfares of the autumn were three overhead on 30th October, Redwing numbers continue to build up, with at least 300 heading south on 1st November, mostly in groups of twenty to thirty.

James

November began with five Cormorants heading south on the morning of 1st, with up to 300 Redwing also over. More Redwings passed through over the next week or so, with over 500 on 8th, along with thirty odd Fieldfare. The Nuthatch is still calling (on one occasion even singing!) from the trees along the river, and recently there have been two of them visiting the feeder. Another songster at the moment is Dipper; early winter seems to be the best time for hearing them sing on our little stretch of the Alun, possibly as it isn’t that strong a song and could be being muffled in spring by all the foliage down the banks of the river. The flock of up to sixty Siskins has had Goldfinch and Chaffinch joining them from time to time, but not yet any Redpolls as far as I can make out. A single Meadow Pipit low west on 9th was a good record. Better though were the Golden Plovers (garden tick!) calling as they went overhead on 18th as I returned home with Archie after picking him up from nursery. Unfortunately it was after dark (17:45) so I couldn’t get a handle on how many there were, but it sounded like quite a few, possibly heading south west, but again hard to tell. On 20th I managed to notch up 39 species, and probably could’ve done more (eg didn’t get a few relatively frequently encountered species like Song Thrush, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, Kestrel, Mallard) but I had other calls on my time. Highlights were a male Peregrine twice drifting around overhead and a couple of Stock Doves. On 22nd I moved the feeder from the garden down to where we park the cars, so now it isn’t so close to the house that everything scatters as soon as one peers out of the window. Instant effect was a lot more activity, with Blue, Great and Coal Tits, Nuthatches, Robins, Dunnocks, Chaffinches and House Sparrows all getting stuck in. And of course the local squirrels, one of which (see attached) seems to have been trying to get in through the back door! Other pics are old & new positions of feeder, and Squirrel on the feeder when it was still in the garden.

James

Attachments

• PICT1272.JPG
    PICT1272.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT1288.JPG
    PICT1288.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT1289.JPG
    PICT1289.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 63
  • PICT1274.JPG
    PICT1274.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 62
Saw a Dipper singing down on the riverbank below the car on 29th November. Heard it as I returned with provisions from the corner shop, peered over the fence and there it was, quivering its wings as it twittered and scratched away. The following day I got my first winter Chiffchaff making its way, low and silent, through some bushes.

Female Blackcap on 6th December was my first since a pair on 2nd October. Also on 6th a group of nine Goosanders (including two drakes) over a couple of times. Then on 7th a trio of ducks picked up just too late as they headed downstream, too sillhouetted to get anything on them other than it looked like two Goosanders with the third bird being around three quarters the size of its companions. Could've kicked myself for not getting onto them sooner. Any small diving duck would be a quality garedn tick, but one consorting with a couple of Goosander could've been something very smart indeed.... Bugger. Also on 7th a record Stock Dove count of five. Small consolation.

James

Hurrah!! Finally nailed Treecreeper for the year yesterday! Not an easy bird from the garden, this was only the fifth record. They're all but impossible in summer, with the trees dripping with leaves, trunks pretty much totally obscured (although one in May last year in the small willows between behind the Derby Arms hints that they're about year round). Not much else, one male Bullfinch and a bunch of Siskins bombing around, Dipper in song again (though not seen this time). Nearly time to start another year list, but given that this time last year I was still two short of my eventual total I haven't quite given up on 2008 just yet; still time for a last minute Redpoll perhaps, or some passing Pinkfeet, or something a bit more unexpected (pleeeeease, something a bit more unexpected, pretty please)!

James

Hurrah!! Finally nailed Treecreeper for the year yesterday! Not an easy bird from the garden, this was only the fifth record.

James

The little fella was out and about again yesterday, for my final spell of garden watching of 2008. Unfortunately no unexpected treats were on offer, the all but final birds of the year being eleven Goosanders, including two drakes, heading north at around 4 pm; off to roost on the gravel pit, after a day's fishing on the river?

So that's two complete years now done, and a year list of 74 in the first, but just 71 this time round, with 64 species being shared by both years. Last year by the end of May I was just 7 shy of the eventual year's total; this year I was 6 short, so it'll be interesting to see how easy it is to accurately predict 2009's total in five months time!

All the best to anyone following this, and wishing you well in 2009!

James

Well done James. Haven't totalled my garden list yet but no real surprises this year except fly through Firecrest seen on two occasions. All the best to you and the missus for 2009.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back