• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia in June (1 Viewer)

I,m visiting the Gambia in June ,i,m finding it hard to find what the biding is like during this month.Is it a quite time ,are they many birds about ,
Can anyone help with any information.!

I've never been anywhere near Gambia, but this very forum has an Information Wanted sub-forum and it has a specific section on Gambia, in the Africa section.

Also, the "search" facility will probably turn up 189 or so hits using Gambia as a search term.....

When in june are you going?

Early/mid june is usually too early for the first rains & few of the infra-African migrants will have returned. Returning Cuckoos & birds such as Pygmy & Woodland Kingfisher tend to re-appear towards the end of June. At this time Bishops & Pin-tailed Wydahs are starting to take on breeding plumage (Exclamatory Paradise Wydahs are later). Egyptian Plovers will still be on their breeding grounds in Senegal in june & most waterholes will have dried up almost completely making it harder to find water birds whilst most waders will be on northern breeding grounds.

To make the most of a june visit it might be best to hire the services of a local guide who will know what sites are still productive -I can put you in touch with a good one if you are interested.

Check out his website via the resources tab at the top right-hand corner of this page (resources > links > international birding > (alphabetical list >) go to Gambian Birds)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back