• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia 2008/2009 (1 Viewer)

Kalispera

Is there anyone out there going to the Gambia this side of Christmas or into the New Year.
We go in December for our fifth tour of duty, looking forward to it.

Has anyone been to Panchang/Kaur Wetland, what can we expect to see??
Thanks, Donald

Just returned from a week in The Gambia in mid-October. We went up to Tendaba but didn't cross the river to go to Kaur (We saw Egyptian Plover at Soma -on the South bank).

I've been to Kaur in previous years (in November & March) -there is still plenty of water in late November but it is bone dry by early march. There should still be some water in mid-late December. This year the rains have been very good so hopefully Kaur will remain productive. I sponsor a bird guide who is taking clients (photographers) upriver to Georgetown via Kaur in late Nov/early Dec so hopefully I will have further info before you go.

In the past at Kaur (in mid-November) I've seen up to 17 Egyptian Plover at once, Kittlitz Plover, White-crowned Plover(very rare), assorted Palearctic waders (Little Stint, Ruff,etc) and a VERY large flock of Collared Pratincole. There are also various egrets, Pink-backed Pelican, Spur-winged Geese, Knob-billed Ducks, White-faced Whistling Ducks, Yellow-billed & Marabou Storks, and a good range of raptors including Marsh & Pallid Harriers.

The area is also good for the fabulously named Exclamatory Paradise Wydah ( I remember when we saw our first ...........What the **** was that???) -sadly they moult out of breeding plumage by early December though you might catch a late bird.

Attachments

• Exclamatory Paradise Wydah.jpg
    Exclamatory Paradise Wydah.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 88
Hi Donald

both of these are good sites. Panchang's good for Purple Swamphen, Lesser Moorhen, Greater Swamp Warbler...Allen's Gallinule possible as well. Water birds are the focus here, but it's a good site for raptors, and the surrounding thornscrub is good for all sorts of stuff...Cut-throats, Sudan Golden Sparrow come to mind.

Kaur can hold 5,000+ collared pratincoles. White-crowned Plover one of the specialities there and Croc Bird too as Steve G said. Oh yes, ducks too - only place I've seen Pintail or Teal in Gambia.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back