• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four budget bins: a comparative review (1 Viewer)

Also, I believe the fov numbers are not that accurate.

Now that I agree with.

If you check the FOV numbers they look precise but when you do the conversion to angular FOV you find they come out in half degree increments most of the time. So I think they're usually design minimums that an engineer has given the marketer. On measurement you often find the actual number just a little larger (e.g. on the Hawke thread the spec is 8.0 degrees, the measured number is 8.1 degrees).

That's why I prefer to convert them to degrees and consider them based on that (with an accuracy of 1/10th of a degree at best).

Last edited:
One thing I can say for sure in comparing the Promaster ED, the Meopta Meostar and the Frontier ED is that they are in that order in terms of field of view. I took the time to compare each of these side by side. My "bench test" for checking various optical attributes is to place them side by side out on the steps to my back deck. The steps are "open" so I can place the bins all next to each other and then just stand behind the steps to look out of each one at a specific item. When doing this with the three bins in question I could see a wider field of view when going from the Promaster to the Meostar and then again when going from the Meostar to the Frontier ED. Though the published specs might not be entirely accurate they are accurate in the sense of comparing one to the next.

Just though I would mention that.

How is the included neck-strap from Celestron?

The strap is not great, IMHO. It's a neck length strap (i.e. it's short enough so you can only wear them around your neck ... it almost long enough for underarm/sash wearing). It's not stretchy either so it doesn't doesn't take the "bounce" of the bins when walking.

It would be a fine strap on a lighter bin.

I'd recommend a different strap e.g. a inexpensive but longer Bushnell strap would work well I think for my preferred sash style carry. A bit of padding and a little give.

Keith,

I wish I could comment about the field curvature issue. I do not have one of those models in my possession at this time. I can grab one of the regular Actions tomorrow and do a comparison though if you like. From memory the 7x35 Action and Action Extremes were very similar optically except the Action had better depth of field and shorter eye relief.

I can say that the amount of field curvature is less on the Bushnell Legend porro in comparison to the Ultima DX. Still, I do not find the level of field curvature in the Ultima DX to be a distraction.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back