• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flower for ID and 1 for Confirmation please (1 Viewer)

LizandDave

I found 2 plants today I am not sure about. Hope you can help. Both found on arable field edge on chalk soil in North Kent, today.

1-3. About 8" tall with drooping rosettes of white flowers. I can't make out if there are 4 or 5 petals. Petals are longer than sepals. Leaves are alternate and clasp the stem, a bit like sow thistles do. However, this looks possibly like a cabbage family member, but I;m guessing.

4. I think it's Thyme Leaved Sandwort but can't totally match it to Harrap's or online images. The hairy calyx has long hairs on outside of calyx. A few hairs on upper stem but otherwise mostly hairless. Image has further details.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• no id flower gallops longfield 280314axxx.jpg
    no id flower gallops longfield 280314axxx.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 70
  • no id flower gallops longfield 280314bxxx.jpg
    no id flower gallops longfield 280314bxxx.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 87
  • no id flower gallops longfield 280314dxxx.jpg
    no id flower gallops longfield 280314dxxx.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 60
  • sandwort thyme leaved arenaria serpyllifolia gallops longfield 280314xxx.jpg
    sandwort thyme leaved arenaria serpyllifolia gallops longfield 280314xxx.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 80
I'm reasonably sure it's Thlaspi arvense (Field Penny-cress). Very easy when in fruit...

The sandwort looks OK, but they're not my favourite from pictures!

Thanks for that, the drooping flower head didn't fit, but the rest does for Field Penny Cress. I can't find any other similar flower apart from Thyme Leaved Sandwort for 4.
Dave

Thanks for that, the drooping flower head didn't fit, but the rest does for Field Penny Cress. I can't find any other similar flower apart from Thyme Leaved Sandwort for 4.
Dave

Dear Dave

I too can't find any other fit, but I'm fairly sure that the second plant isn't
Thyme-leaved Sandwort, which is a thin, spindly-stemmed upright plant,
with elliptical leaves with pointed ends and ciliate margins. Grey-green, too, not bright green as yours. The stems of your plant look fat - almost as if they'd squash if you pressed them, while all Arenaria sandworts have thin stems you can't really press. And they are not red like this - maybe a slight tinge at the base, though I've never seen that.

Don't you have a photo of the whole plant, which would give a better idea of what it looks like than these (albeit good and useful!) close-ups?

Best

David

Last edited:
I don't have any other photos of 4 sorry. It was only about 6" tall and buried in other plants so I couldn't see its base. I am arming myself with a measure, notebook and eye glass soon, to take detailed notes when in the field. Hopefully that will help with future IDs.
Dave

I don't have any other photos of 4 sorry. It was only about 6" tall and buried in other plants so I couldn't see its base. I am arming myself with a measure, notebook and eye glass soon, to take detailed notes when in the field. Hopefully that will help with future IDs.
Dave

Dear Dave
That sounds like another reason why it wouldn't be Thyme-leaved Sandwort. It tends to grow on bare places, isolated from competitor plants, or on walls. "buried in other plants" doesn't sound good for it.

Best

David

I've worked out what No.4 is after finding another more mature specimen today. It's just Chickweed! The reddish stems and leaves were identical. I guess the petals hadn't opened up to show the deep split in them yet.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back